testtest

10 Top .45 Pistol Options for any Budget

I've since expanded my horizons from owning only Glocks, but my Gen 3 Glock 21 45ACP I purchased brand new in 1999 is definitely one of the most reliable handguns I've ever owned. I used it for IDPA competition for several years and over the last 21 years, it's gone bang every single time I've fired it. It has to be up somewhere over the 5k rounds by now easily and I've put every type of wholesale ammo, except steel, thru it at one time or another over the years. Glocks don't fit my hand as well as they once did, but I'll never fail to mention their reliability and ruggedness. The Glock 21 definitely, imho, belongs on the above list.

I've since expanded my horizons from owning only Glocks, but my Gen 3 Glock 21 45ACP I purchased brand new in 1999 is definitely one of the most reliable handguns I've ever owned. I used it for IDPA competition for several years and over the last 21 years, it's gone bang every single time I've fired it. It has to be up somewhere over the 5k rounds by now easily and I've put every type of wholesale ammo, except steel, thru it at one time or another over the years. Glocks don't fit my hand as well as they once did, but I'll never fail to mention their reliability and ruggedness. The Glock 21 definitely, imho, belongs on the above list.

I’ll still say the Glock 21 is the best striker-fired, doublestack .45 made.

I’ll still say the Glock 21 is the best striker-fired, doublestack .45 made.
I wouldn't disagree. I actually was sold on the Glock from a guy who let me use his when I first started participating in IDPA around 1998-99. It wasn't a big thing around here then at all, but I was using an HK USP45, a monster of a handgun, and I just couldn't seem to hit targets like I knew I should with an $750 handgun. This guy who was I was chatting with while waiting for the next round of shooting to began showed me his Glock 21, a Gen 2 and he swore by it. He let me take a look at it and it felt good in my hand, then he suggested I use his for the next round of shooting. I did MUCH better with his firearm than I had ever shot with my HK. Now I'm not knocking HK here, definitely not, but some handguns just don't mesh with your shooting style I guess, and that one didn't. I thanked the guy for letting me use his weapon, went and traded my HK in on a Glock 21 Gen 3 the next week. The gun store where I did the trade actually ended up owing me money on the trade so they put night sights on it, gave me a really nice holster and a couple of boxes of ammo. That's when I started liking Glocks. Up until then, I had only heard about them but never actually shot one.

I wouldn't disagree. I actually was sold on the Glock from a guy who let me use his when I first started participating in IDPA around 1998-99. It wasn't a big thing around here then at all, but I was using an HK USP45, a monster of a handgun, and I just couldn't seem to hit targets like I knew I should with an $750 handgun. This guy who was I was chatting with while waiting for the next round of shooting to began showed me his Glock 21, a Gen 2 and he swore by it. He let me take a look at it and it felt good in my hand, then he suggested I use his for the next round of shooting. I did MUCH better with his firearm than I had ever shot with my HK. Now I'm not knocking HK here, definitely not, but some handguns just don't mesh with your shooting style I guess, and that one didn't. I thanked the guy for letting me use his weapon, went and traded my HK in on a Glock 21 Gen 3 the next week. The gun store where I did the trade actually ended up owing me money on the trade so they put night sights on it, gave me a really nice holster and a couple of boxes of ammo. That's when I started liking Glocks. Up until then, I had only heard about them but never actually shot one.

Now, I’ll take my USP over the Glock every day of the week, and thrice on Sunday.

4 times if it’s my USP Tactical.

But I get what you’re saying—it’s like me and the XD series...I really wanted to like them, but just never meshed.

USPs and me are totally copacetic.

After owning an FNX45, I’d rate both the USP45 and/or the HK45 as a better pistol.

Definitely better 1911’s in the price range than the Ruger, as well...
I’m tickled with my FNX45. It does have a larger grip compared to the others due to the capacity, as you know. I will no doubt agree the USP45 to be a better pistol and why it didn’t make the list is beyond me.

Does anyone have any experience with the Springfield Range officer champion? I just bought one in 45
I purchased one a few months back and have been very pleased. Accurate enough for me and no reliability issues. If you are going to carry daily (I don't) it will ride along fine.

After owning an FNX45, I’d rate both the USP45 and/or the HK45 as a better pistol.

Definitely better 1911’s in the price range than the Ruger, as well...
I very nearly bought an HK45 last night. I found a place close to me with a few in stock. The thing that stopped me is that now all the HK pistols in stock at this place have a disclaimer saying they can’t guarantee country of origin. It appears HK pistols are now being manufactured in Georgia and its luck of the draw if you get one made in Germany or not. I’m not sure I want one that’s made in the US.

I expected that Sig pistols were now going to be made here, but what’s up with HK? If I wanted an American made pistol I wouldn’t be looking at HKs.

It’s got me second guessing. Originally I wanted a P30L V3, but those are unobtanium right now and apparently you might end up with a US made version when you do find one. Maybe I’ll just buy another Walther. Maybe a Q SF. I really wanted a German made hammered pistol though.

I very nearly bought an HK45 last night. I found a place close to me with a few in stock. The thing that stopped me is that now all the HK pistols in stock at this place have a disclaimer saying they can’t guarantee country of origin. It appears HK pistols are now being manufactured in Georgia and its luck of the draw if you get one made in Germany or not. I’m not sure I want one that’s made in the US.

I expected that Sig pistols were now going to be made here, but what’s up with HK? If I wanted an American made pistol I wouldn’t be looking at HKs.

It’s got me second guessing. Originally I wanted a P30L V3, but those are unobtanium right now and apparently you might end up with a US made version when you do find one. Maybe I’ll just buy another Walther. Maybe a Q SF. I really wanted a German made hammered pistol though.

My HK45 Tactical is US made, I’ve been happy with it...but I totally get what you’re saying.

But...it's easy to tell the country of origin...

If it’s German, by the S/N on the slide will be the letters DE (this is opposed to the date code, which will begin with an A or B) and the German proof marks; an eagle over the letter “N” (signifying it's rated for smokeless powder), and usually an antler, signifying the Ulm proofhouse does the testing. The frame and barrel will also have the eagle/N proofmark.

US made ones won’t have that, and the frame will, iirc, have “Made in USA” on it. I wish H&K would have still kept the “Liberty Bell” proof mark they initially put on pistols made in the US, but they stopped doing that...don’t know why.

I purchased one a few months back and have been very pleased. Accurate enough for me and no reliability issues. If you are going to carry daily (I don't) it will ride along fine.
Thanks! Can't wait to get it. It shipped yesterday and will be my EDC.

Back