testtest

12 most accurate rifles in history

Thier version of the top 12 of all time. A Springfield Armory made the list.

Thanks for posting the article Sld,
Many very nice hunting rifles in there. The Carper had forgotten about. Hadn't seen or read about one in years.
The SA 2020 Waypoint's not too surprising to be on the list.

I think it's a real stretch for the autor to label his article the most accurate rifles ever made considering the hundreds if not thousands of target/factory/custom rifle designs that have existed. And that individual rifles, of the same model, can vary in accuracy with loads that they prefer, and that skill levels vary greatly from shooter to shooter.

The SA 2020 Waypoint may be a fine rifle but to include it in the list is another stretch, and likely a marketing ploy, because the article doesn't disclose an in-depth test with varied ammo types/brands and at various ranges.

I think it's a real stretch for the autor to label his article the most accurate rifles ever made considering the hundreds if not thousands of target/factory/custom rifle designs that have existed. And that individual rifles, of the same model, can vary in accuracy with loads that they prefer, and that skill levels vary greatly from shooter to shooter.

The SA 2020 Waypoint may be a fine rifle but to include it in the list is another stretch, and likely a marketing ploy, because the article doesn't disclose an in-depth test with varied ammo types/brands and at various ranges.
We cannot take this type of article too serious. Like every other "best" or top ten article it's simply the opinion of the author. Hopefully they have some criteria they will use and explain. But often not.

Part of the reason is, having done many such articles in the past as a free lance writer, they are given the order for the article, they may or may not even understand the topic well. Example: I have written numerous articles on how to change the battery on brand x watches, or size the bracelet. And yes, what are the best hunting rifles for Alaska or Michigan. Never having hunted in Alaska I was expected to research the topic. Same with changing say a fossil watch battery.

They must write the article in a specific style, with a minimum and maximum word count. Most often there is little room for a lot of discussion about parameters, or tests/conditions.

Content may or may not be fact checked by an editor. Often not, especially with on line articles.

The author, in some websites can make as little as five or six dollars per story.

Best just to read them, and understand our opinion may vary.

I think it's a real stretch for the autor to label his article the most accurate rifles ever made considering the hundreds if not thousands of target/factory/custom rifle designs that have existed.
Take another look. That's not how the article is titled. ;)

We cannot take this type of article too serious. Like every other "best" or top ten article it's simply the opinion of the author. Hopefully they have some criteria they will use and explain. But often not.

Part of the reason is, having done many such articles in the past as a free lance writer, they are given the order for the article, they may or may not even understand the topic well. Example: I have written numerous articles on how to change the battery on brand x watches, or size the bracelet. And yes, what are the best hunting rifles for Alaska or Michigan. Never having hunted in Alaska I was expected to research the topic. Same with changing say a fossil watch battery.

They must write the article in a specific style, with a minimum and maximum word count. Most often there is little room for a lot of discussion about parameters, or tests/conditions.

Content may or may not be fact checked by an editor. Often not, especially with on line articles.

The author, in some websites can make as little as five or six dollars per story.

Best just to read them, and understand our opinion may vary.

Exactly. I usually just glean many for info. There's usually something new in each article. Much is just a sales pitch of one kind or another at times to pay someones bills. And, space constraints can alter an article just like they can a movie or many other things, even when more info is usually known to author.

The September 2021 issue of Rifle magazine did a good "real-world", hands-on evaluation of the 2020 Waypoint.

Waypoint 2020 308 carbon fiber barrel. Hornady 168gr Match Grade Ammo. First 4 shots zeroing at 100 yds. First-wide right, second a little high, third and fourth I’ll take. Moved to 200yds and my very first shot on the steel target. Bingo! Love this rifle.

Attachments

• 15FD9456-17ED-49B2-A448-9581A4EADA1C.jpeg
    15FD9456-17ED-49B2-A448-9581A4EADA1C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 242D7EBD-A826-4F16-838F-CD8F63AC8300.jpeg
    242D7EBD-A826-4F16-838F-CD8F63AC8300.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 64
Waypoint 2020 308 carbon fiber barrel. Hornady 168gr Match Grade Ammo. First 4 shots zeroing at 100 yds. First-wide right, second a little high, third and fourth I’ll take. Moved to 200yds and my very first shot on the steel target. Bingo! Love this rifle.
Let me preface by saying I have never seen a Waypoint much less shot one and I haven't heard anything about them one way or another, nor do I have a legitimate opinion about their accuracy.

That said I get hits like that all day long at 250 out of a BCA .223 Wylde upper I paid about $300 for.

My $500 Savage 10 .308 Heavy Varmint makes groups tighter at 300yds than your Waypoint at 100.

Just sayin’.

Other more in-depth reviews of the Waypoint have repeatedly shown that the Waypoint has a tendency to throw the first shot.

Also, stating a supposedly .75 MOA at 100 yds guarantee isn't much to brag on for a supposedly long-range rifle. With my long-range rifles 100 yds is the "getting-on-the-paper" distance & I don't even think about accuracy until 200 yds +.

But 100 yds may be a long-range for folks based on where they live.

Hey man this was the first 5 shots out of the box. Can’t a guy catch a break?
I don't think anyone was knocking your skillset. I know I wasn't. In any case to accurately gauge "Most" or "More" accurate you have to eliminate the human element as much as possible. The weapons to be compared need to be fired under the same circumstances. For this I think the minimum acceptable circumstance is from a bench rest. Better would be some sort of rifle vise/clamp system.

Curious to know what kind of scope are you using? Or if it was with the iron sights.

An old Burris Euro Diamond 3-12x50 Ballistic Plex Recticle. Nothing exotic. Hoping Santa will bring me a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 CDS ZL2 34mm Side Focus Ilum TOMA for Christmas

Back