testtest

Review: Apex Tactical Action Enhancement Trigger for Springfield Hellcat

The Hellcat is 99% awesome, 1% a total failure for me, personally.

I utilize my weapons in a wet environment fairly consistently. Prior to purchasing the Hellcat, utilized Glocks for 20+ years. Literally ZERO corrosion with any of my Glocks over the years - including a 30S retrieved after 8+ weeks of being lost post flood, found, rinsed, entire magazine emptied without a single malfunction; broken down, inspected, zero corrosion.

First wet outing with the hellcat as my backup. Spent +/- 4 hrs in said location. Field stripped, cleaned/compressed air/lubed. Two weeks later, complete teardown and inspection prior to that day's outing, Hellcat internals corroded to the point the weapon isn't safe to use.

Contacted Springfield and voiced findings/concerns. Springfield's reply - not warranted but will be happy to repair. My call wasn't necessarily aimed at getting a warranty job approved. My call was to ask if this is the norm to be expected with SA's weapons. SA rep had zero insight.

Planned on purchasing a Prodigy this week. After my experience with the SA Hellcat and interaction with the SA rep, sticking with Glock & Sig.

I utilize my weapons in a wet environment fairly consistently. Prior to purchasing the Hellcat, utilized Glocks for 20+ years. Literally ZERO corrosion with any of my Glocks over the years - including a 30S retrieved after 8+ weeks of being lost post flood, found, rinsed, entire magazine emptied without a single malfunction; broken down, inspected, zero corrosion.

First wet outing with the hellcat as my backup. Spent +/- 4 hrs in said location. Field stripped, cleaned/compressed air/lubed. Two weeks later, complete teardown and inspection prior to that day's outing, Hellcat internals corroded to the point the weapon isn't safe to use.

Contacted Springfield and voiced findings/concerns. Springfield's reply - not warranted but will be happy to repair. My call wasn't necessarily aimed at getting a warranty job approved. My call was to ask if this is the norm to be expected with SA's weapons. SA rep had zero insight.

Planned on purchasing a Prodigy this week. After my experience with the SA Hellcat and interaction with the SA rep, sticking with Glock & Sig.
More specifics are needed.

Which internal parts were corroded?

What environmental conditions? salt or fresh water conditions? Sweaty conditions? Warm or cold?

More specifics are needed.

Which internal parts were corroded?

What environmental conditions? salt or fresh water conditions? Sweaty conditions? Warm or cold?
Using part schematic as reference:

The following parts showed corrosion. * beside part # indicates inoperable related to severity of corrosion.

5*,6*,7,9,14-20 (19*),28-29,36,46.

Environment - sweltering heat/humidity, daily moisture from both environment & sweat.

Wet locations - all freshwater, low sediment. Secondary weapons secured in dry boxes/bags when saltwater incursions are necessary.

Well, the Hellcat is actually made in Croatia by a different company. The Prodigy is made in Illinois by SA.

There are reasons I wouldn’t personally buy a Prodigy, but failures of one of their Croatian guns isn’t one of them.

Well, the Hellcat is actually made in Croatia by a different company. The Prodigy is made in Illinois by SA.

There are reasons I wouldn’t personally buy a Prodigy, but failures of one of their Croatian guns isn’t one of them.
The Prodigy was going to be a personal weapon. It's the severity of the failure and SA's response that will keep me from purchasing another SA weapon. Croatia or NA made - build/quality/craftsmanship should be the same if your name's on it IMO.

Back