testtest

Bulls vs. Bushings: Which 1911 System Is Better?

I love how these guys write a this vs that article and never come out with a real answer. I guess gun writers are afraid of making a choice. :rolleyes:

I only own one 1911 with a bull barrel. An old Springfield Ultra-Compact .45. The thing is a real PITA to field strip. Gotta have a special little tool and it doesn't want to stay in place. I don't shoot it much because I don't want to clean it. :mad:

I'll go with the traditional barrel bushing any day. (y)

i had the Emissary 1911, and it had the bull barrel.

it was a PITA to field strip, due to my old hands not being able to get that pinhole lined up for the tool.

so i dumped it, and will not have any interest in buying any other 1911 with such a barrel.

Then there are these:
series-70-collet-barrel-bushing-jpg.263032

They were used on full-sized Colt government models and Gold Cups for 20 straight years, from 1969 to 1989. It was said to be "accurate, reliable and giving good accuracy from an assembly-line gun without crippling custom fitting costs". However, the "fingers" could break off and bind up your gun. They take a little practice to figure out how to turn the bushing and position the barrel without damaging the fingers of the collet. I have two Colts that came with these and I've not had an issues. If I needed a new bushing I would contact Evolution Gun Works who will make a bushing to fit the slide and barrel. You send them the dimensions of the outside of your barrel and inside of the slide.
They send you a bushing made to fit.

However, the "fingers" could break off and bind up your gun. They take a little practice to figure out how to turn the bushing and position the barrel without damaging the fingers of the collet.
Yeah, I've heard all about the collet fingers breaking off, but when I ask, I've never yet met anyone who actually had it happen, or knew anyone who had.

And I found out it's very easy to install the things if you hold the slide open a little, to where the fingers aren't engaging the enlarged end of the barrel.

Still, I don't have my Mark IV barrel installed on a gun I count on for self defense. 'Cause who knows, maybe that broken finger thing isn't just a myth/old shooters' wives' tale. ;)

If you spend a lot of time in the boonies old school bushing is best. Maintenance in the field must be simple and fast. Been walking all day on a hunt or field trip and when you make camp you really want to eat and sleep so cleaning the firearms and blades must be stress free and fast.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Bulls vs. Bushings: Which 1911 Barrel System Is Better?" and can found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/bulls-vs-bushings-which-1911-barrel-system-is-better/.
View attachment 41852
I’ve had 1911’s with both and preferred the Bull Barrel on my Emissary.
Yes it was heavy however I felt it helped with barrel rise and helped get me back on POA faster.
I found it no harder to clean then the bushing version of Range Officer I had.

Back