testtest

Ayoob: Is the Prodigy Too Big for CCW, or Just Right?

I appreciated that Mr. Ayoob decided to address this issue. I have been asking myself the same question, is it just a competition handgun or can it be an EDC. I also was thinking about acquiring a Ronin or SA-35. Thanks for your input, Massad.

This is a Human Factors question right? For someone like myself @ 5'8" with nearly no fat, I dont have anywhere to put my full frame weapons, even though I prefer them... especially in the Summertime as IWB'ing a 1911 is close to impossible for me (at least hip/appendix). I do love flannels and hoodies so in the Fall-Spring I can CC OWB and get away with it. Thinking I may get this gun anyway and embrace the suck.

Anyone can carry pretty much anything, if you’re willing to get a good holster, belt, and dress around the gun.

A friend’s wife who is quite petite has no issues concealing a gov’t model 1911; if she can pull that off, most anyone should be able to carry a Prodigy with no huhu.

My Prodigy did nothing but jam I couldn't even run 3 rounds of a fmj ammo without a jam, I used 3 different brands of ammo and tried 3 different mags with the same results. I sent it back to SA over 3 weeks ago and they still haven't returned it apparently it was designed to throw at someone for $1700 bucks you would think that it would function!

My Prodigy did nothing but jam I couldn't even run 3 rounds of a fmj ammo without a jam, I used 3 different brands of ammo and tried 3 different mags with the same results. I sent it back to SA over 3 weeks ago and they still haven't returned it apparently it was designed to throw at someone for $1700 bucks you would think that it would function!
And that has what do with the actual subject?

If you just wanna kvetch, make your own thread that we can ignore.

I appreciated that Mr. Ayoob decided to address this issue. I have been asking myself the same question, is it just a competition handgun or can it be an EDC. I also was thinking about acquiring a Ronin or SA-35. Thanks for your input, Massad.
You don’t need Mass to tell you whether you can EDC something. You can carry anything if you’re motivated. It was interesting that he was running the 5inch version. I have one and it’s a lot of gun. It feels noticeably bigger than a Govt 1911 because of the grip and the full dust cover. My issue with the Prodigy is I don’t think it’s a particularly fast gun. I don’t feel that the slide on the 5in model reciprocates as fast as Govt 1911 and certainly not as quick as my 226/229 Legions. It’s a great range gun, but I think there are better options for a carry gun. Mass said you can carry one. He didn’t say you should.

You sure it wasn’t operator error?

You don’t need Mass to tell you whether you can EDC something. You can carry anything if you’re motivated. It was interesting that he was running the 5inch version. I have one and it’s a lot of gun. It feels noticeably bigger than a Govt 1911 because of the grip and the full dust cover. My issue with the Prodigy is I don’t think it’s a particularly fast gun. I don’t feel that the slide on the 5in model reciprocates as fast as Govt 1911 and certainly not as quick as my 226/229 Legions. It’s a great range gun, but I think there are better options for a carry gun. Mass said you can carry one. He didn’t say you should.
I would contend that body shape and or size does play a role in what you can carry comfortably and long term, at least for IWB... anyone can OWB dang near anything and cover that of course. Heck my dad said they had a lady make her way to jail one night and they found a small .38 in her hewhaw, so yes if motivated I recon one could conceal carry damn near anything. In these times of new CCW options and carry technology I personally see no reason to try to make something work that I am not 100% comfortable with. Just me though.

My thoughts are if you are going to carry a full size, why no carry a 45 ACP? Yes it's reduced carrying capacity but there's no replacement for displacement.
Placement trumps displacement, every time.

If you can’t control the .45, sure, you might get one (your first shot) hit in, but be challenged to make the follow ups…and multiple, rapid hits (regardless of caliber—see the Ellifritz study) are a lot more effective in getting stops than relying on one shot.

That’s why.

I would contend that body shape and or size does play a role in what you can carry comfortably and long term, at least for IWB... anyone can OWB dang near anything and cover that of course. Heck my dad said they had a lady make her way to jail one night and they found a small .38 in her hewhaw, so yes if motivated I recon one could conceal carry damn near anything. In these times of new CCW options and carry technology I personally see no reason to try to make something work that I am not 100% comfortable with. Just me though.
You’re making my point. You don’t need a journalist to tell you whether you can OWB anything because based on respective parameters anything can be carried.

You’re making my point. You don’t need a journalist to tell you whether you can OWB anything because based on respective parameters anything can be carried.
I agree. My point was that for me, related to this article, this gun is not an IWB CCW... other folks could carry this dumb Star MEGASTAR double stack .45 I have and probably be comfy. I can't, and thank the Gods I dont need to. Here in Texas where is is 700 degrees, OWB is out for me right now, again, not because I could not, but because I dont need to with all the other options.
Do you have one of these? I am curious if they are in fact good.

I've successfully IWB concealed my 5" Prodigy w/ DPP red dot on a handful of occasions since my holster came in. This is in the middle of this Texas heat wave that is July/August. 2nd pic is not the best angle so I apologize but it conceals quite nicely, even with the 20rd mag in. If I stick with the 17rd, it's even better.

PXL_20230718_174936041.jpg

PXL_20230718_174943827.jpg

I agree. My point was that for me, related to this article, this gun is not an IWB CCW... other folks could carry this dumb Star MEGASTAR double stack .45 I have and probably be comfy. I can't, and thank the Gods I dont need to. Here in Texas where is is 700 degrees, OWB is out for me right now, again, not because I could not, but because I dont need to with all the other options.
Do you have one of these? I am curious if they are in fact good.
A Prodigy? Yes, mine is fantastic. It’s from the first weekend of sales and I’ve never had an issue with it. I’ve carried it OWB and IWB just to see how it went. IWB is kind of a pain because the FO front sight catches on clothes easily.

BTW, I’m in DFW. Where are you?

I IWB 4.4 inch guns all the time another 1/2 is not that big of a deal. I think width is more of an issue than length. A Govt 1911 is pretty easy. A 226 gets challenging because it’s wide.

Back