testtest

1911A-1 Hammer

McGee

Alpha
My Springfield Armory 1911A-1 has an extra, small sear notch just before the safety notch. I think it was a manufacturing defect, and I contacted Springfield Armory but received no response. I've attached a picture with an arrow indicating the additional notch. A normal hammer is pictured beside the Springfield Armory hammer for reference.

I first noticed that touching the trigger caused the hammer to fall from what I thought was the safety notch. However, I learned that to engage the actual safety notch required pulling back the hammer back a little further. I disassembled the gun and removed the hammer for inspection.

The safety notch functions to catch the hammer if it accidentally slips when thumb cocking, and I would never use it for a carry position, but I don't like the "ambiguous state" with this hammer position and plan to replace the hammer.

I'm interested in other opinions.

Attachments

• Old-NewHammer.jpg
    Old-NewHammer.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 37
My Springfield Armory 1911A-1 has an extra, small sear notch just before the safety notch. I think it was a manufacturing defect, and I contacted Springfield Armory but received no response. I've attached a picture with an arrow indicating the additional notch. A normal hammer is pictured beside the Springfield Armory hammer for reference.

I first noticed that touching the trigger caused the hammer to fall from what I thought was the safety notch. However, I learned that to engage the actual safety notch required pulling back the hammer back a little further. I disassembled the gun and removed the hammer for inspection.

The safety notch functions to catch the hammer if it accidentally slips when thumb cocking, and I would never use it for a carry position, but I don't like the "ambiguous state" with this hammer position and plan to replace the hammer.

all i can say is, "call S/A, as they are slow to respond to emails"

and next..

Springfield designed that hammer for a reason....

if you replace it, you may be disabling some sort of safety type of reason..???

also too, if you replace that hammer, just remember that if you do/did disable any safety feature, and you have "some sort" of accident..??

you are on your own, you cannot blame S/A.....

Does the gun function ok, if so, what’s the issue? And why would you take the hammer out, it’s not needed for normal take downs and cleaning.

I see that others have hammers with this additional notch. My first experience with 1911 style pistols was a pair of Series 70 Colts I purchased in 1976... a 45ACP & a 38 Super Auto. Of the may I've owned, this is the first with the additional notch. My preferred hammer is a pre-1939 wide-spur, checkered. Today, good ones are no longer available at reasonable prices. The reproductions don't seem as nicely made.

Attachments

• Pre1939-Hammer01.jpg
    Pre1939-Hammer01.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 14
Back