testtest

D-Day — Defeating the Nazi Atlantic Wall

img-a26e3172.jpeg

Part of the success of D-Day was Teddy Jr.'s famous command. "We'll start the war right here" when his troops missed their landing zone and accidently outflanked the Germans. Similarly, our paratroopers missed their landing zones badly and tore into the enemy rather than getting discombobulated by their troubles. There is an apocryphal story that a German general stated words to the effect that Americans are good at war because war is a state of chaos and confusion and that is the normal condition of the American army. Utah beach was as an example of this.
More importantly, the American soldiers at both Utah and Omaha beach fought bravely and with determination to open a door into Fortress Europa. We owe them a great debt.

Part of the success of D-Day was Teddy Jr.'s famous command. "We'll start the war right here" when his troops missed their landing zone and accidently outflanked the Germans. Similarly, our paratroopers missed their landing zones badly and tore into the enemy rather than getting discombobulated by their troubles. There is an apocryphal story that a German general stated words to the effect that Americans are good at war because war is a state of chaos and confusion and that is the normal condition of the American army. Utah beach was as an example of this.
More importantly, the American soldiers at both Utah and Omaha beach fought bravely and with determination to open a door into Fortress Europa. We owe them a great debt.
Not only were Teddy's forces landed at the wrong place, but unlike Omaha, Dual-Drive Shermans arrived mostly on time and ready for action. This aided knocking out bunkers and dug in positions so the infantry could advance.

P.S. Unlike as depicted in The Longest Day, Teddy's problems were more serious than arthritis. He died of a heart attack about 10 days into the campaign.

I recently read up on D-Day, especially the events of June 6, 1944. The conditions that met the allied forces were the proverbial meat grinder. Frankly, I'm surprised we only lost a little less than 10K troops that day. And that substantial cost is offset by my unabashed admiration for these young men who persevered in the face of such a hellish onslaught and beyond that, managed to win the day.

What in the world has happened to that America?

My uncle Lou Watson, who played basketball for Indiana university and went on to be their head coach, was a gunners mate on one of them landing Boats at Normandy. He was a good man..
I watched an interview with Frank DeVita who was also a gunners mate on landing craft on June 6, 1944. His story is at once shocking and eye opening. Teenage kids having to lower those ramps knowing that bullets were going to shred the kids in front waiting to get off. Wow...

I watched an interview with Frank DeVita who was also a gunners mate on landing craft on June 6, 1944. His story is at once shocking and eye opening. Teenage kids having to lower those ramps knowing that bullets were going to shred the kids in front waiting to get off. Wow...

Wow, what an interview, and a man. Thank God for these men and women.. If you didn't shed a tear, after watching this interview your a cold person...Good thing they didn't have Bone Spurs, back then!

Back