testtest

Will Myopia Kill You in a Deadly Force Confrontation?

Good information to know. I’ve worn contacts most of my life but it wasn’t until I reached my early 50s that I needed reading glasses for up close vision.
I’ve discovered that blended bifocal glasses (progressives) are the best answer because you can see clearly both up close and distant at the same time. My job requires perfect vision both up close and distant at the same time and progressives have served me well.
For defensive shooting/tactical situations I highly recommend wider lenses so as to not limit your peripheral vision.
Also, remember that correcting your close and distant vision is more important than the type of sights you have on your firearm.
Modern materials like trivex have made glasses very light and comfortable (even wide thick lenses).

Thanks for the great article!

If you haven't trained to point and shoot at 3-5-7 yrd line then train some more. Enhanced sights are pretty and can be useful if you want take the wings off a Tse Tse fly at 50 feet. But training to shoot for personal protection at center mass at the 3-5-7 yard is, IMHO, imperative. Shooting past 7 yards could be aggressive in some jurisdiction. I'm not denying enhanced sights can be beneficial but at what cost. Snagging cloths, time spent to sight verses point and shoot. I'm not the expert just stating what I know.

As I usually do when these sighting system articles come out, I have to toss out my two cents and declare fiber optic front sights to be practically (as in practical in all scenarios) useless. If you are attacked outside during the day - especially a sunny day - then yes, they really pop! But at night or even in at an indoor range without bright, direct overhead lighting, they are very hard to see, if not impossible.

The first update I do for all our pistols is pull any white 3-dot or blacked out combat sights and replace them with Tritium, front and rear. And these days, as the article infers, my go to is a red dot. I love the red dot because it allows me to remain target focused instead of front sight focused. And, because I'm a prescription glasses wearing untactical person, a red dot helps even if I don't have my glasses on.

As to point shooting. During the last training class I attended (a 1 on 1 session), the instructor asked me after one course of fire, "Do you remember seeing the dot?"

I looked at him with a smile and said, "Nope." The drill involved a timer and shooting on the move from about 7-10 yards. That timer threw all those pretty sight alignment thoughts right out of my head as I worked to draw, acquire each target, get rounds on target, do mag changes, and get more rounds on target in a multi-target course of fire.

Had I seen the dot? I honestly have no idea. I have worked on draw and present mechanics a lot during dry fire so maybe I did and just didn't consciously realize it. But, I put the rounds where they needed to be, regardless, so I was okay with that.

Back