testtest

9 Best Concealed Carry Revolvers For Personal Defense (2021)

It's nice to see the Charter Arms Bulldog getting some attention from gun writers. The Bulldog can be a bit large for a CCW, but it offers a unique and satisfying shooting experience. I would consider the six-round Police Undercover or Boxer (lightweight 6-shot undercover with a fiber-optic front sight) to be better EDC guns, but the Bulldog is a classic. Charter offers the .38 Special 6-shot revolvers at prices in the low $300, which makes them significantly cheaper than any other American offering.

Not a fan of the LCR series, at all; I think their trigger, while slightly lighter, has a terrible, indistinct, mushy break. Also, don’t care for the grip.

Colt Cobra—had one. Terribly inaccurate with multiple loads and multiple shooters. Don’t care for the grip either. Angle isn’t instinctive (for me) like a S&W, but better than Ruger.

The couple of RIA 206’s I’ve shot weren’t bad, after they had a couple hundred rounds through them to smooth out the action. Grip is still the Colt angle, though.

No, my personal top carry revolvers would be:

S&W 640
S&W 442/642 (PC versions preferable)
S&W 36/60/360 (the M&P version was the best of the lightweights)

I guess I could add a couple of my favorites, but they’re definitely larger than what they consider “concealed carry”—perhaps they were thinking “pocket carry”…

A 2.75” 686+ carries nicely in both a shoulder holster, or a Galco CombatMaster OWB, and can easily handle full magnum loads if the shooter can. Light magnums, such as Remington Golden Sabers, or .38+P loads are easy.

A 3” 65 is possibly the perfect carry magnum (you could add a 3” model 13, 19 or 65 here, as well). The 3” barrel means that the extractor rod is long enough for full ejection of magnum cases, and the extra sight radius makes longer shots easier…yet it carries as easily as a snub.

If we were only allowed to carry wheel guns, I have a few that are almost small enough. My pick would be a Uberti Stallion in .38 special. It has a bird's head grip, antique fake ivory grips and my own **** tune for slickness. Using 158 grain SWCs it shot a tad low at 15 yards so I filed the front sight to correct it.
The little popper has a very light trigger so I have to use a lot of care handling it.
If DA is required I have a stainless Rossi M88 (with rubber grips) that shoots pretty well, but I am better with the Uberti.
In rimfire I have a Charter Pathfinder in .22 mag the old classic model. It's my smallest, lightest revolver.
With 3/4" more barrel is the Charter target bulldog in .44.
For open carry I have some big sweeties but that isn't the best idea.

Attachments

• DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 125
  • pix608095993.jpg
    pix608095993.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 121
  • smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 117
  • SIX-1.jpg
    SIX-1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 117
If we were only allowed to carry wheel guns, I have a few that are almost small enough. My pick would be a Uberti Stallion in .38 special. It has a bird's head grip, antique fake ivory grips and my own **** tune for slickness. Using 158 grain SWCs it shot a tad low at 15 yards so I filed the front sight to correct it.
The little popper has a very light trigger so I have to use a lot of care handling it.
If DA is required I have a stainless Rossi M88 (with rubber grips) that shoots pretty well, but I am better with the Uberti.
In rimfire I have a Charter Pathfinder in .22 mag the old classic model. It's my smallest, lightest revolver.
With 3/4" more barrel is the Charter target bulldog in .44.
For open carry I have some big sweeties but that isn't the best idea.
I have your M88’s little brother—The M89–in .32 S&W Long. It’s a surprisingly nice little shooter.

I have your M88’s little brother—The M89–in .32 S&W Long. It’s a surprisingly nice little shooter.
Those Rossis are under rated if you ask me. Mine functions perfectly and has a fine trigger. Its DA pull is smooth and much like a S&W. I have had it for 20 years so the dew is off the lily, but it is totally dependable. When the boys feel like bringing a piece on a road trip I lend it out. I bet that .32 is a cutie.

Not a fan of the LCR series, at all; I think their trigger, while slightly lighter, has a terrible, indistinct, mushy break. Also, don’t care for the grip.
My sentiments exactly. There are a lot of Ruger products that I really enjoy carrying or shooting (GP100, LCP Max, SR22, Mini 14, 10/22). I picked up an LCR in .22LR a few years back for cheap plinking. As much as I wanted to like that gun, I just couldn't get past the grip. It somehow manages to be huge, while still not allowing for a full 3-finger grip.

I kept hoping that, like the S&W J-Frame, there would be a decent amount of aftermarket grips. So far, only a few companies make any grips for the LCR, and many of these don't make the grip any slimmer. It's still not a bad plinker for saving money on ammo, but I can't picture carrying any of the LCRs because so many 9mm and .380 ACP semi-autos offer significantly more capacity while still being easier to conceal.

Back