testtest

9mm vs .380 auto vs .38 special

Meh.

The writer's bias came through loud & clear in the article's header...only 9mm is acceptable to him. The fact that his only choices for .380 and .38 were gimmick rounds just cements he spoke via his nethers.
I gathered that as well, and I have carried all those calibers. I have read data to show otherwise on the .380 and the .38 special. I do however like the Leigh Defense rounds, but will say that the .380 and .38 special will and do make a viable defensive pistol, especially with the offerings related to ammo other than what was mentioned in the article.

I gathered that as well, and I have carried all those calibers. I have read data to show otherwise on the .380 and the .38 special. I do however like the Leigh Defense rounds, but will say that the .380 and .38 special will and do make a viable defensive pistol, especially with the offerings related to ammo other than what was mentioned in the article.

I’ve yet to see any conclusive test that shows the screwdriver tips perform any better than ball-particularly flat-nose ball—in the case of .380, or a SWC-HP or even just SWC in .38. Gel tests have nearly identical permanent channels, when you discard the temporary cavity damage that gel will exhibit, but (most) living tissue won't.

Additionally, the light weight/high velocity bullets tend to have radically different POA/POI at anything further than bad breath distance; and while, yes, many defensive shoots occur at close range...not all of them do, and I like to be prepared for that possibility.

Throw in the triple-quadruple price for the screwdriver tips...I just smell snake oil, imho.

Back