testtest

9mm vs .380: Which is Better for Self-Defense?

1718893504608.gif

I think if all I had was a 380 I would stay home. Having said that I do understand some people do have problems with recoil and maybe pistol size & weight. No doubt a 380 is better than throwing rocks it's just not for me. Just my opinion.
A .380 round to the heart or center of your head will do as much damage as any other …

A miss is a miss regardless of caliber.

If we get in a gunfight, are you going to care that I’m shooting you with a .380 ?

Not to change the subject but related since recoil was mentioned. And teaching everyone from 18 year olds to 82 year old widows I have seen it all.

When one looks at 22 LR it has a dismal record out of handguns. However the same 22 LR round out of a Ruger 10/22 is almost always fatal So much that 2 respected Lawmen Chuch Haggard and Darryl Bolke (well respected national trainers and friends) mentioned this. So you know what has 10/22 performance out of a. 2”
Barrel???? A 22 WMR so if someone really has recoil issues with a 9mm or 380 a 22 MAG is not a bad choice.

As far as revolvers are bad I mentioned this observation. I run LEOSA qualifications of retired Officers with 20 or ore years that are “trained” to run autos and have carried them for most of their career but here I am watching several fiddle fart not being able to work a slide of safety like a monkey trying to open a coconut.

Suggesting a revolver to those folks make sense! As far as caliber as long as they know to put it in the aorta or brain stem it doesn’t really matter (other than 25 acp never choose that 25 auto is what got Richard Ramariz AKA the Nightstalker caught. All his victims were killed until his first crime with a new gun a 25 auto he shot them in the face like he did others but they lived and were able to identify him for a police sketch artist)

Not to change the subject but related since recoil was mentioned. And teaching everyone from 18 year olds to 82 year old widows I have seen it all.

When one looks at 22 LR it has a dismal record out of handguns. However the same 22 LR round out of a Ruger 10/22 is almost always fatal So much that 2 respected Lawmen Chuch Haggard and Darryl Bolke (well respected national trainers and friends) mentioned this. So you know what has 10/22 performance out of a. 2”
Barrel???? A 22 WMR so if someone really has recoil issues with a 9mm or 380 a 22 MAG is not a bad choice.

As far as revolvers are bad I mentioned this observation. I run LEOSA qualifications of retired Officers with 20 or ore years that are “trained” to run autos and have carried them for most of their career but here I am watching several fiddle fart not being able to work a slide of safety like a monkey trying to open a coconut.

Suggesting a revolver to those folks make sense! As far as caliber as long as they know to put it in the aorta or brain stem it doesn’t really matter (other than 25 acp never choose that 25 auto is what got Richard Ramariz AKA the Nightstalker caught. All his victims were killed until his first crime with a new gun a 25 auto he shot them in the face like he did others but they lived and were able to identify him for a police sketch artist)

I passed on LEOSA retired credentials. Quals have to be done using the POST course and it's hard to set up a double feed on a J-Frame. I could have used any of the auto's and just carried the J-Frame on CCW, but they also require a yearly MH certificate and that the re-quals are done by agency instructors.

First: Nobody wants to get shot, with anything.
I went to more stabbings than shootings. I went to more foiled robbery's that had no shots fired.
The victim had a gun, the robber ran away.
I had to go to a robbery at a restaurant where the robber had a putty knife under his jacket.
The cashier didn't make him shoot a hole in the wall to prove he had a gun. (and bullets)
He wasn't very bright, he thought it was okay since he didn't really have a gun.
Yes: I caught him within 15 minutes.
Shibadog said: What you have with you. That's correct...

I passed on LEOSA retired credentials. Quals have to be done using the POST course and it's hard to set up a double feed on a J-Frame. I could have used any of the auto's and just carried the J-Frame on CCW, but they also require a yearly MH certificate and that the re-quals are done by agency instructors.
I run a simple 15 round backup gun course here that agencies do. I primarily do retired Bureau of Prisons but others filter in. The main reason is I keep it simple they aren’t going to learn anything (heck most were in the 80% of once a year shooters) and I watch them fiddle with their guns like it’s the first time ever so if I made it a course with reloads and malfunction drills I’d have a king day with Aneurysms involved.

They have to get 100% (I’ve had a couple I have had to fail) and everything else is on them. That whole you are all adults it’s on you the union can’t help you if you screw this up in the street!

Back