testtest

A couple of 1903A3s

Recusant

Hellcat
Yesterday Jfal replied to my post on a 1903, and questioned the stamps on his Remington 1903A3. So maybe these pictures will provide some insight. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Top: Remington with stock reinforcement bolts, Bottom: Smith Corona with stock reinforcement pins
1903A3.JPG

Top view. These were probably bought from the DCM for about $20 bucks back in the day.
Top view.JPG

Remington stock cartouches RA - Remington Arms, crossed cannons - Defense Acceptance Seal, FJA - Frank J Atwood (military inspector) The RA is faint but it's next to the stock bolt head. Notice the "R" on the cut-off. Most of the parts on Remingtons are so marked.
Remington stock cartouches RA - Remington Arms, crossed cannons - Defense Acceptance Seal, FJA...JPG

Smith stock cartouches crossed cannons - Defense Acceptance Seal, FJA - Frank J Atwood (military inspector)
Smith stock cartouches  crossed cannons - Defense Acceptance Seal, FJA - Frank J Atwood (milit...JPG

Remington factory inspector markings
Remington  factory inspector markings.JPG

Smith Corona factory inspector markings
Smith Corona factory inspector markings.JPG

Both rifles are proofed with a P in a circle; however, Smiths have a letter between the proof and the trigger guard.
Smith P.JPG

RA 10-43.JPG
SC 6-43.JPG

Talyn back in the 80s and 90s if someone walked by me at a gun show carrying an A3 I usually bought it if it was about 100% correct. The gov't sold them off in the 1950s for about $20 dollars and many were customized to hunt with. Several that I bought had 1903 milled trigger guards and not the stamped guards that Remington and Smiths left the factory with. I did some asking around and found out that the NRA had suggested making this change to stiffen up the stock and improve accuracy. At that time finding factory original parts were still easy to find.

Talyn back in the 80s and 90s if someone walked by me at a gun show carrying an A3 I usually bought it if it was about 100% correct. The gov't sold them off in the 1950s for about $20 dollars and many were customized to hunt with. Several that I bought had 1903 milled trigger guards and not the stamped guards that Remington and Smiths left the factory with. I did some asking around and found out that the NRA had suggested making this change to stiffen up the stock and improve accuracy. At that time finding factory original parts were still easy to find.
I've put 03 milled guards on couple of builds one being a hunting 1903 & one for CMP matches, otherwise I keep the A3 guards on any rebuilds.

Back in the 90-2000's was the "Golden-Age" of 1903/A3 bring-back with CMP. CMP got a lot of real nice Greek 1903/A3s, along with M1 Garands from them that were properly stored, thus in nice condition.

I picked up several A3's at gun shows & kick myself for not getting more. And I hit the CMP North store when the Greek A3s were plentiful.

When the "Greeks" ran-out CMP got the US Army to recall the 03/A3 VFW guns from them which were sent to CMP. Those were a mix-match as far as their individual conditions. Those started petering out pre-Covid, and now they're just down to a few drill rifles, which the market got into to remove the welds and rebuild.

Now 03/a3 parts & rifle prices have really gone up. I have enough parts to build one more A3 but the problem is finding a good receiver.

I've put 03 milled guards on couple of builds one being a hunting 1903 & one for CMP matches, otherwise I keep the A3 guards on any rebuilds.

Back in the 90-2000's was the "Golden-Age" of 1903/A3 bring-back with CMP. CMP got a lot of real nice Greek 1903/A3s, along with M1 Garands from them that were properly stored, thus in nice condition.

I picked up several A3's at gun shows & kick myself for not getting more. And I hit the CMP North store when the Greek A3s were plentiful.

When the "Greeks" ran-out CMP got the US Army to recall the 03/A3 VFW guns from them which were sent to CMP. Those were a mix-match as far as their individual conditions. Those started petering out pre-Covid, and now they're just down to a few drill rifles, which the market got into to remove the welds and rebuild.

Now 03/a3 parts & rifle prices have really gone up. I have enough parts to build one more A3 but the problem is finding a good receiver.
These look rough, so I don't know if these would work or even if they still have them:

Looks like they're out, but Thanks!

I always look on GB but receivers don't show up very often.

I imagine you know already, not o buy a National Ordnance receiver and/or complete rifle.

Always heard it's bad to put up a pic of your serial number, but Recusant did, and he's forgotten more than I'll ever know. Pics of my cartouche marks. Uploaded 2 of the JFA stamp...wasn't sure how lighting would affect the pic...it's a muddled stamp, probably from linseed oil (boiled of course). 1942 receiver with a 1944 barrel...if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• Pic6.jpg
    Pic6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • Pic1 1903 cartouche.jpg
    Pic1 1903 cartouche.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • Pic7.jpg
    Pic7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
Always heard it's bad to put up a pic of your serial number, but Recusant did, and he's forgotten more than I'll ever know. Pics of my cartouche marks. Uploaded 2 of the JFA stamp...wasn't sure how lighting would affect the pic...it's a muddled stamp, probably from linseed oil (boiled of course). 1942 receiver with a 1944 barrel...if I remember correctly.
Jfal, that's a nice looking Remington. It looks real clean. Another plus is the OG stamp which indicates that it went through a rebuild at the Ogden arsenal. It appears your barrel may be a replacement. It doen't have that dot in the middle of the flaming bomb. It must have seen some use during the war.

Jfal, that's a nice looking Remington. It looks real clean. Another plus is the OG stamp which indicates that it went through a rebuild at the Ogden arsenal. It appears your barrel may be a replacement. It doen't have that dot in the middle of the flaming bomb. It must have seen some use during the war.
I got it for a steal (at least by today's standards)...shoots pretty well. My only issue is the rear aperture sight is offset to the right of center. I have to crank the aperture all the way left to be close to zero. It's a dovetail mount, and I can push the block over...but I don't have a tool and don't want to foul it up with my ham-hands. Other than that it's been a fun toy. Appreciate the comments...every day I learn how little I know!

Back