testtest

A Deadly Load for the 32 H&R Magnum

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The 32 H&R Magnum was introduced in 1984 by Federal Cartridge, at the behest of Harrington & Richardson, a venerable company that supplied revolvers to the economy end of the market. It’s nothing more than the 32 S&W Long lengthened by a seventh of an inch.

the 32 H&R was a disappointment to many – including, apparently, Federal, because in 2008, it introduced the 327 Federal Magnum. This is the 32 H&R case lengthened another eighth of an inch (.125 inch).

1728527310336.png

1728527540775.png

I don’t about the Lehigh Defense bullets, but I am a fan of the .32 H&R Mag.

I call it my “reloadable .22” when loaded with cast bullets and TiteGroup but it’s more than that. The factory loads are limited by the H&R revolvers it was designed for, so in turn a lot of load data is pretty tame. Brian Pearce had a good article in Handloader a few years back with loads meant for the Ruger SA and some others. He didn’t get crazy with it, but he boosted the speed some.

I have mostly loaded for a Ruger Single Six, but have a S&W 431PD also. Bullets from an NOE Molds copy of the RCBS 32-102SWC get shot the most, but the Sierra 90 JHP does well also.

It’s economical. I can load a lot of them and it seems like the powder level hardly moves in the powder measure. I should try a lighter bullet mould meant for the .32 ACP (Around 60 grains). That could be a real component stretcher.

The 32 H&R Mag has more bark than some expect. It’s only my opinion, but I think a lot of people would be better served by a 32 H&R Mag snub than a 38 Spl.

What makes the 32 H&R shine is small J frame revolvers. You can stuff 32 S&W long in them with a 6th round. Not much recoil more than a 22 Mag and with full target wadcutters will cut a hole and get to the goods. And being Centerfire it will have more reliable ignition and can have a better trigger than a 22 Rimfire that has to have a heavier trigger for reliable Ignis when talking Wheelguns.

As far as 327 mag that also has a place and works better in a steel frame like Ruger SP101 the new 3” Lipseys makes a perfect trail gun stuff it with deep penetration 327 mags for whatever and then 32 H&R and 32 S&W Long for anything else.

Last edited:
Back