testtest

Acorns the country boy favorite

Sld1959

Hellcat
When we were kids fall was the time we picked up our favorite thing, acorns. They were our favorite multifunctional item. We would go out and pick them up, my parents 20 acres was mostly wooded white oak so there were millions of them. We would fill the old paper grocery bags with them and use them all year long.

We used them for a number of things, but our two favorites were targets, and wrist rocket slingshot ammunition. Hit a crow with an acorn from a wrist rocket and it exploded when it hit killing them instantly. And I liked killing them because they would torment my dog by stealing it's outside food during the day while it was outside, die crow...

Second use were as miniature biodegradable targets, never knew what that meant but we were budding naturalist. We had a board on the side of the gully wall and would line up acorns and shoot thrm all day. Distance was about 25 yards and sure made us. Dead Eye Dicks lol or so we thought lol.

I usually was in the creek collectin crawdads and then snakes. My poor mother had it rough. i caught a tub of toadfrogs one time and snuck em in my room. well that night they all got out. oh boy, i spent all the next day fiding them or i was gonna get murdered. we found dead frogs for a while after that. I had a tub full of snakes by the back door and i still hear her hollerin my name. when she called me by my first name and middle i knew i was fixin to get it. lol

Back