testtest

Another 1903 Springfield

Recusant

Hellcat
Here is another example of a Springfield 1903. The serial # and the barrel date (4-33) make this a 1903A1; however, it has an S type straight stock without the grasping grooves which was made for early war Remington 1903s. It should have a type C stock, but this one is so nice I let it be. It appears to have been "boned" of any markings or arsenal stamps. If anyone has a Remington 1903 with a C stock maybe we can trade.

Springfield 1903A1(1).JPG

As you can see in this picture the rear sight sleeve has the lightening cuts.
1903A1 (2).JPG

Here you can see the Springfield bolt is stamped N.S. (nickel steel) with is correct for this serial number which indicates 1934 manufacture.
1903A1 (3).JPG

1903A1 (4).JPG

Here you can see the barrel date (4-33). Oddly enough this barrel when gauged showed very little wear. Makes you wonder what it did during the war!
1903A1 (5).JPG

Very nice! (y)

For some strange reason I never warmed up to the 03/03A1s, and have stuck to the A3s.

One winter project I have is to swap stocks on the last CMP A3 I picked up at the North Store last time I drove back east.

Very nice metal, and TE/ME readings but the stock is beat up a bit. I remembered I still had a spare USGI C-stock stashed away & dug it out for the swap sometime this winter.

Last edited:
That is an almost-new-looking stock. Couple scrapes that look to be covered with linseed oil, but still fantastic. My Remington 03-A3 has a similarly-great stock...but with some cartouche stamps....but I'm pretty much a noob on the history of this platform. Mine could be a new stock with fake stamps for all I know. I just saw it on the shelf for a fair price and bought mine on a whim. Nice rifle!

I'd say leave it as is, stocks were changed as necessary, it might've started out an A1, but who's to say the original wasn't broken, the only part to make an A1 was a "C" stock, and they were already rare to begin with.
Beautiful rifle by the way.

Back