testtest

Another story of Self-Defense from the great state of Texas

A very sad day for both the victim and the thieves. A person needs to be on high alert when going to an ATM. For me at least, there were not enough details provided to really even know what actually happened, but the PD must have had more information.
And most likely we won’t know all the details because it was self defense and a justifiable shoot and doesn’t help the left say that all guns are used for evil purposes.

I love the chief's comment. "It was a robbery that didn't go well for the robbers". A master of the understatement!

Attachments

• 2049d50582271fb9ac24e2baa5ce8c4a.jpg
    2049d50582271fb9ac24e2baa5ce8c4a.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 121
First I'd like to point out that the video attached to the story is a completely different topic but well worth watching.

The second thing is I guess it's an old fart thing but I don't remember the last time I went to an ATM.

actually I do remember the last time I went to an ATM. I was a roving guard for Allied Universal and apparently we had a double contract with Wells Fargo to respond to bank alarms and they called me one night to go check out the ATM in the lobby of the Wells Fargo tower on Colorado and cascade. I walked into the lobby. I looked at the ATM, it didn't appear to be disturbed. I called Wells Fargo and said it didn't look like there was an issue and I left.

Anyway, a lot of the name trainers suggest staying away from ATMs because criminals go there looking for people to rob.

First I'd like to point out that the video attached to the story is a completely different topic but well worth watching.

The second thing is I guess it's an old fart thing but I don't remember the last time I went to an ATM.

actually I do remember the last time I went to an ATM. I was a roving guard for Allied Universal and apparently we had a double contract with Wells Fargo to respond to bank alarms and they called me one night to go check out the ATM in the lobby of the Wells Fargo tower on Colorado and cascade. I walked into the lobby. I looked at the ATM, it didn't appear to be disturbed. I called Wells Fargo and said it didn't look like there was an issue and I left.

Anyway, a lot of the name trainers suggest staying away from ATMs because criminals go there looking for people to rob.
The story was great. I too was distracted by the news video about San Francisco Dem's wanting to ban security guards from carrying firearms OTJ. That city has already been decimated beyond recovery, and they want to make it worse...

Yep. I avoid ATMs like the plague these days. If I need a little cash, I get cash back at the DG....more than that, I'll make a trip to the brick and mortar. The hubs has been rather lucky as of late (hidden horse shoe somewhere?) and has a little stash, so I haven't had to do either. I don't do cash much these days anyways..

Due to where I was for the day, I had to visit an ATM in a seedy part of town. The drive-thru machine was situated near a malingering bunch of ne’re-do-wells. Normally I would drive up so close to the wall or machine as tight as possible , so any chance of snatch & grab was eliminated.

I decided drive around and park in front to go into the front lobby and use the machine there. Pressed the screen for a fast hundred bucks... machine split out a bunch of bills that I thought I hit the jackpot. All Twenties I’m thinking !! Nope, all Fives…the standard denomination for street buys.

Even here at home base, daytime ATM visits only and never when they the armored cars are filling the outdoor machines.
Teams of Eastern European travelers, et al, have been known to profile bank patrons and follow them home.
So every bank visit should be a door-to-door tactical exercise.

Good for TX, unfortunately this sort of self defense is not acceptable in gun controlled, justice reformed jurisdictions, like here in Cook County IL.

When ATM's were a new thing robberies were so frequent that we put random stakeouts on them. There were some professional ATM robbers that were frequent flyers.
Many companies put ATM's in areas where you wouldn't want to go in daylight, with poor lighting. The ATM companies/banks have got better about security but they are still a magnet. For years I trained security officers/armored car guards for their gun licenses. Hearing them talk about the amount of cash in some of those things is astonishing. Get your cash in daylight, and never alone.

I go to ATMs occasionally. I like to have some cash on me at all times in case of an emergency. Wife is the same way. Head on a swivel, retract the mirrors, pull in nice and tight, and just get my cash and go. I don't linger, I don't check my balance. I use ATMs that are in open view areas. There is one ATM I use that is on the corner of two main cross streets, in full view of everybody going both ways. And I only go during daylight hours. Let's face it, you can get jacked anywhere nowadays if you aren't alert to your surroundings or distracted. I probably go to the ATM once a month or every 2 months, depending.

When ATM's were a new thing robberies were so frequent that we put random stakeouts on them. There were some professional ATM robbers that were frequent flyers.
Many companies put ATM's in areas where you wouldn't want to go in daylight, with poor lighting. The ATM companies/banks have got better about security but they are still a magnet. For years I trained security officers/armored car guards for their gun licenses. Hearing them talk about the amount of cash in some of those things is astonishing. Get your cash in daylight, and never alone.
One of the security companies I worked for many years ago had a contract with Diebold(maker of ATM machines). The Diebold technicians would ask for me by name because they knew I'd protect them by setting up a perimeter and be prepared to defend it.

It didn't hurt that they knew I was a former Marine. Most times when I went out with the Diebold techs I brought my Mossberg 12 gauge with a pistol grip loaded with slugs and buckshot. I also carried a H&K USP40 back then

I went all over the Dallas area with them mostly at night to protect them. A few times we went to the Martin Luther King area of South Dallas and that was never fun. Fortunately I never had to shoot anyone. There were always bad elements around. Luckily the ATM techs were pretty good at quickly fixing problems and getting us out of those bad areas...:)

One of the security companies I worked for many years ago had a contract with Diebold(maker of ATM machines). The Diebold technicians would ask for me by name because they knew I'd protect them by setting up a perimeter and be prepared to defend it.

It didn't hurt that they knew I was a former Marine. Most times when I went out with the Diebold techs I brought my Mossberg 12 gauge with a pistol grip loaded with slugs and buckshot. I also carried a H&K USP40 back then

I went all over the Dallas area with them mostly at night to protect them. A few times we went to the Martin Luther King area of South Dallas and that was never fun. Fortunately I never had to shoot anyone. There were always bad elements around. Luckily the ATM techs were pretty good at quickly fixing problems and getting us out of those bad areas...:)
It is a damned shame, and an embarrassment to have such "bad areas" in America. Many of our elected officials lack the courage to clean out the rat nests.

Back