testtest

Armory Life Hellcat Giveaway gun review!

Epeeist

Elite
Founding Member
So I have shot a Hellcat a couple times, but have only owned the Sig 365 and 365 XL guns for the hi cap micro compact class. I was lucky enough to win one of the HC's in the giveaway, and I thought I would post some thoughts and reviews on it as I break it in. I did not have a chance to shoot it tonight, but will take care of that in the morning. I will be teaching some new shooters in the morning and I will post some of their thoughts as well.

Initial Impressions: So out of the box... no wait. Lets start with the box. One of the things that makes apple so successful is the ownership experience. From the moment you touch the package, you get the feeling you are dealing with something special on a new Iphone. Kind of the same experience here.

The box is a nicely textured black box with the Springfield crest. Cardboard sure, but well made and with a nice finish that feels la lot better than S&W, Ruger, etc. Inside is a nice black zippered range bag, and upon taking that out, you find an envelope with all your gun paperwork. In a separate internal compartment of the box is the base plate, mag lock, etc. Its a very clean, very high end presentation compared to a Glock or S&W gun. It reminds me of the Sig Legion presentation, but at a working mans budget.

Your gun comes in a nice black zippered soft case with the SA logo on it. Its a nice fit for the gun, and seems well made and durable, but I am not sure that it is actually supposed to be for the Hellcat. It has a velcro strip with nothing attached to it, and a looped elastic section that seems like it should hold a mag, but is to small for either of the double stack mags the gun comes with. I get the impression that it would be perfect for one of the 911 mags, so that was probably the initial design, but its a nice touch nonetheless.

The Hellcat: Still have a hard time saying that with a straight face. I have taken to calling it the heck-kitten as that seems more aprapos for a tiny 9mm gun. Its a sharp looking little gun. The first thing I did of course was pop the mag and clear the gun. I immediately noticed that it was easy to get ahold of. The slide serrations are actually very nice. No matter how you tend to rack the slide, they are easy to hit, grab the hand and work very well. The rear serrations wrap all the way around the gun, giving plenty of surface area.

Sights: One of my favorite parts of the gun, are just how good the sights are. A nice big bright front dot and the generous U notch in the rear make them quick to find and easy to line up. More importantly they work well in normal or low light. The rear sight is stepped at a right angle so that you can rack the slide off a belt or hard surface, and the wrap around serrations help with this.

Grip, hand placement and texture: Moving on to what I think is the grip (can't be sure since it doesn't say GRIP ZONE written anywhere) there is a lot of good here, and only a smidge bad. SA made a big deal about its grip texture in the adverts for the HeckKitten. And it really is very good. It is as good or better than almost anything else I think I have ever tried. I doubt I will have any want or need to skate tape or Talon Grip this gun. The FN 509 and Shadow Systems 918 have better grip texture, but they are much bigger guns with a lot more area to take away. I think the HeckKitten wins in the small gun grip texture category hands down. Not to aggressive for carry, but plenty good enough for damp hands and a positive grip.

The gun sits a bit higher in the hand than the Sig or Glock micro compacts, but not insanely so. Maybe a couple mm or so higher in my grip compared to the XL. It does make it feel a bit bigger than it is, but mostly in a good way. It feels like a substantial gun, and I don't feel like it will be difficult to control even with the smallest flat base plate installed.

The contouring of the grip surfaces is very nice and worthy of note. I have huge hands and on smaller guns, I often find myself covering the slide release or worse yet, pressing up on it. Not so here. The grip guides your thumb very well, and there is a small cage around the underside of the slide release. The undercut on the trigger is nice, and the edges are rounded so they don't dig into my middle finger. Finally there is a nice little indent with great texture for the thumb of your off hand. This is wonderful for indexing and helping to control the gun. And keeps my giant thumb from drifting in front of the muzzle...

Trigger: The trigger is surprisingly decent right out of the box. The flat face feels nice with rounded edges and a couple ridges on the rounded surface. There is plenty of room for large fingers (or normal fingers and thing gloves) and I don't find the bottom of my finger rubbing against the inside of the guard like it does on small Glock or Sig guns. There is a fair bit of take up, a pronounced wall that takes a fair bit of travel to pull through, and a clean break. The trigger breaks right at 90 degrees, and it is smooth throughout its travel. It was testing in the mid 6 pounds on my Lymann guage.

It is as good as anything I have felt on a Glock, not quite as nice as the Sig 365, Walther PPQ or Canik Elite, but completely serviceable for a defensive gun. The reset is very positive, but a bit long. Enough that I feel like it should be reset before it does. Its not insane, but if you are coming off a gun with a short reset, you will notice it. Again, more or less on par with its peers in this category. Striker triggers have come a long way since the 90s after all.

Odds and ends: One of the things that I like most about this gun is the stand off device for the muzzle. Its just genius and every defensive gun should have it. This is a great idea for a defensive gun.

I also love the overall attention to detail. There are solid pins in the frame of the gun. Not roll pins, actual directional pins, all set to the same depth.

The mags are great in that they feel substantial and quality. The witness holes are number which I always appreciate.

Off to the range tomorrow. I had initially said that If I did not already have a 365 I would probably buy a HeckKitten, but I doubt I would replace my 365 with one. I may very well have to change that opinion. I just wish I had the OR version. But for the price, this is the best gun I have every owned! Even at triple what I paid, it would be a bargain hands down. ;)

So I have shot a Hellcat a couple times, but have only owned the Sig 365 and 365 XL guns for the hi cap micro compact class. I was lucky enough to win one of the HC's in the giveaway, and I thought I would post some thoughts and reviews on it as I break it in. I did not have a chance to shoot it tonight, but will take care of that in the morning. I will be teaching some new shooters in the morning and I will post some of their thoughts as well.

Initial Impressions: So out of the box... no wait. Lets start with the box. One of the things that makes apple so successful is the ownership experience. From the moment you touch the package, you get the feeling you are dealing with something special on a new Iphone. Kind of the same experience here.

The box is a nicely textured black box with the Springfield crest. Cardboard sure, but well made and with a nice finish that feels la lot better than S&W, Ruger, etc. Inside is a nice black zippered range bag, and upon taking that out, you find an envelope with all your gun paperwork. In a separate internal compartment of the box is the base plate, mag lock, etc. Its a very clean, very high end presentation compared to a Glock or S&W gun. It reminds me of the Sig Legion presentation, but at a working mans budget.

Your gun comes in a nice black zippered soft case with the SA logo on it. Its a nice fit for the gun, and seems well made and durable, but I am not sure that it is actually supposed to be for the Hellcat. It has a velcro strip with nothing attached to it, and a looped elastic section that seems like it should hold a mag, but is to small for either of the double stack mags the gun comes with. I get the impression that it would be perfect for one of the 911 mags, so that was probably the initial design, but its a nice touch nonetheless.

The Hellcat: Still have a hard time saying that with a straight face. I have taken to calling it the heck-kitten as that seems more aprapos for a tiny 9mm gun. Its a sharp looking little gun. The first thing I did of course was pop the mag and clear the gun. I immediately noticed that it was easy to get ahold of. The slide serrations are actually very nice. No matter how you tend to rack the slide, they are easy to hit, grab the hand and work very well. The rear serrations wrap all the way around the gun, giving plenty of surface area.

Sights: One of my favorite parts of the gun, are just how good the sights are. A nice big bright front dot and the generous U notch in the rear make them quick to find and easy to line up. More importantly they work well in normal or low light. The rear sight is stepped at a right angle so that you can rack the slide off a belt or hard surface, and the wrap around serrations help with this.

Grip, hand placement and texture: Moving on to what I think is the grip (can't be sure since it doesn't say GRIP ZONE written anywhere) there is a lot of good here, and only a smidge bad. SA made a big deal about its grip texture in the adverts for the HeckKitten. And it really is very good. It is as good or better than almost anything else I think I have ever tried. I doubt I will have any want or need to skate tape or Talon Grip this gun. The FN 509 and Shadow Systems 918 have better grip texture, but they are much bigger guns with a lot more area to take away. I think the HeckKitten wins in the small gun grip texture category hands down. Not to aggressive for carry, but plenty good enough for damp hands and a positive grip.

The gun sits a bit higher in the hand than the Sig or Glock micro compacts, but not insanely so. Maybe a couple mm or so higher in my grip compared to the XL. It does make it feel a bit bigger than it is, but mostly in a good way. It feels like a substantial gun, and I don't feel like it will be difficult to control even with the smallest flat base plate installed.

The contouring of the grip surfaces is very nice and worthy of note. I have huge hands and on smaller guns, I often find myself covering the slide release or worse yet, pressing up on it. Not so here. The grip guides your thumb very well, and there is a small cage around the underside of the slide release. The undercut on the trigger is nice, and the edges are rounded so they don't dig into my middle finger. Finally there is a nice little indent with great texture for the thumb of your off hand. This is wonderful for indexing and helping to control the gun. And keeps my giant thumb from drifting in front of the muzzle...

Trigger: The trigger is surprisingly decent right out of the box. The flat face feels nice with rounded edges and a couple ridges on the rounded surface. There is plenty of room for large fingers (or normal fingers and thing gloves) and I don't find the bottom of my finger rubbing against the inside of the guard like it does on small Glock or Sig guns. There is a fair bit of take up, a pronounced wall that takes a fair bit of travel to pull through, and a clean break. The trigger breaks right at 90 degrees, and it is smooth throughout its travel. It was testing in the mid 6 pounds on my Lymann guage.

It is as good as anything I have felt on a Glock, not quite as nice as the Sig 365, Walther PPQ or Canik Elite, but completely serviceable for a defensive gun. The reset is very positive, but a bit long. Enough that I feel like it should be reset before it does. Its not insane, but if you are coming off a gun with a short reset, you will notice it. Again, more or less on par with its peers in this category. Striker triggers have come a long way since the 90s after all.

Odds and ends: One of the things that I like most about this gun is the stand off device for the muzzle. Its just genius and every defensive gun should have it. This is a great idea for a defensive gun.

I also love the overall attention to detail. There are solid pins in the frame of the gun. Not roll pins, actual directional pins, all set to the same depth.

The mags are great in that they feel substantial and quality. The witness holes are number which I always appreciate.

Off to the range tomorrow. I had initially said that If I did not already have a 365 I would probably buy a HeckKitten, but I doubt I would replace my 365 with one. I may very well have to change that opinion. I just wish I had the OR version. But for the price, this is the best gun I have every owned! Even at triple what I paid, it would be a bargain hands down. ;)
Another great write up Epeeist. The Heck Kitten, I love it :D. I too was drawn to the U notch rear sight & it didn’t disappoint when I recently purchase my “Heck Kitten” (non OR version unfortunately). I’m wondering how well the stand off device will work, not that I don’t think it will, but would like to see it demonstrated.

I WILL own one......Oh Yes......I will own one.

Thanks. Great review.

I remember when the XDm 4.5 .45ACP was released. EVERY review was raving about the new XDm. Walked into my local shop, saw one in the display, asked if that was the new XDm? He said yep and I said write it up! He asked if I wanted to check it our first and I said Nope and went to grab a few boxes of ammo. He laughed at me and I walked out with my new XDm. Probably not the smartest move I've ever made but, to this day, I NEVER regretted it.

Getting the same vibe with the Hellcat.

Look forward to your Range Review.
I do that all the time. Guns, cars, trucks, no trying out or test drive. When they seemed shocked, I just respond “I’ll make it work” or “I’ll get use to it”. I’ve done it my whole life and never had a problem. I guess I’m just easy to please :giggle:

So the little HeckKitten had its first range day today. I overall like the way it shot, and the new shooter I had out with me liked it enough that she wants to order an OR version once they are in stock with common availability. All was not roses and aged scotch, but overall I was impressed.

Reliability: I had three kinds of ammo for use today. 124gr NATO spec Geco fmj, 147 FT Federal and 147gr HST HP. Zero issues with any of the ammo. It just ate everything and that wonderfully smooth and polished feed ramp cycled even when the new shooter was riding the slide home a few times. Everything shot low, but the 147 HST's shot closest to point of aim.

Recoil, etc: This is a snappy little gun, as one would expect from the small size and weight. To my hand it is a bit moreso than the 365 XL, but about on par for the original 365. After getting over the initial shock at just how much more snap it had that a full sized race gun my new shooter was popping IDPA targets and transitioning well between them. Its an easy gun to get back on target, both because of the design and the excellent sights.

Shootability: It was COLD today, at least by VA standards, being around 20 when we started. So we were both wearing gloves. I was wearing Pig tactical gloves and she was wearing something purple and poofy. Zero issues getting the finger in the mag well and working all the controls. I was teaching her to slingshot the slide and only use the mag release for locking the slide open to show clear, but that was easy to do. It was also very easy to hit the mag release. The mags don't drop free for me, since I have giant hands, but they should fly out for any normal sized person. The indexing point for the off thumb and the very nice slide serrations were appreciated by all.

Accuracy. This was the main disappointment. The gun shot low, and like a lot low. Also a smidge to the left. It was consistent in its point of impact, just off by about 7 inches. Perhaps these guns are designed for a type 3 hold, but all the other guns we were shooting either cowitnessed with a 6 oclock hold or were pure dot guns. Even on the plate rack at 10 yards it was putting them into the crossbar with a type 2 sight picture on the plate.

That was the big disappointment. I love, really love, these sights. They just are not on for me on this gun. Bright, easy to come up, good in low light. They are about perfect. Assuming the gun would shoot to point of aim. The one I have shot previously, a CO gun, they were spot on. I think this one just shoots a bit off, but with a sample size of two its hard to be sure.

All in all I really do like this gun. I think it has some noteworthy improvements over the 365. I wish the sights were more on for this gun, but realistically I would want to buy a CO gun anyway. I really do think I may end up replacing my 365 XL with a CO version of this little gun.

We were also shooting indoors at 20 yrds and the outdoor rack at 20 yrds. The sights did not seem particularly high or low as for how they set in the gun. They certainly are not "suppressor height" sights like you would see on some guns. They are a bit taller than the Xray sights on the Sig, but only by a very little bit. The OR gun has a nice deep cut that sits without a plate, so that it can cowitness without needing an abnormally high sight.

Thanks. I was wondering if the two versions were intended to have sights of different heights. At least with the OSP version, one could make windage/elevation adjustments to correct the low impact. Right?
Yeah with the red dot you can just adjust the dot to point of aim. You would not be able to cowitness them though if they were off from the factory. Depending on the sight, the red dot housing might be able to just replace the rear sights if you wanted to go that route, so it would not matter if they were just a bit off.

So the little HeckKitten had its first range day today. I overall like the way it shot, and the new shooter I had out with me liked it enough that she wants to order an OR version once they are in stock with common availability. All was not roses and aged scotch, but overall I was impressed.

Reliability: I had three kinds of ammo for use today. 124gr NATO spec Geco fmj, 147 FT Federal and 147gr HST HP. Zero issues with any of the ammo. It just ate everything and that wonderfully smooth and polished feed ramp cycled even when the new shooter was riding the slide home a few times. Everything shot low, but the 147 HST's shot closest to point of aim.

Recoil, etc: This is a snappy little gun, as one would expect from the small size and weight. To my hand it is a bit moreso than the 365 XL, but about on par for the original 365. After getting over the initial shock at just how much more snap it had that a full sized race gun my new shooter was popping IDPA targets and transitioning well between them. Its an easy gun to get back on target, both because of the design and the excellent sights.

Shootability: It was COLD today, at least by VA standards, being around 20 when we started. So we were both wearing gloves. I was wearing Pig tactical gloves and she was wearing something purple and poofy. Zero issues getting the finger in the mag well and working all the controls. I was teaching her to slingshot the slide and only use the mag release for locking the slide open to show clear, but that was easy to do. It was also very easy to hit the mag release. The mags don't drop free for me, since I have giant hands, but they should fly out for any normal sized person. The indexing point for the off thumb and the very nice slide serrations were appreciated by all.

Accuracy. This was the main disappointment. The gun shot low, and like a lot low. Also a smidge to the left. It was consistent in its point of impact, just off by about 7 inches. Perhaps these guns are designed for a type 3 hold, but all the other guns we were shooting either cowitnessed with a 6 oclock hold or were pure dot guns. Even on the plate rack at 10 yards it was putting them into the crossbar with a type 2 sight picture on the plate.

That was the big disappointment. I love, really love, these sights. They just are not on for me on this gun. Bright, easy to come up, good in low light. They are about perfect. Assuming the gun would shoot to point of aim. The one I have shot previously, a CO gun, they were spot on. I think this one just shoots a bit off, but with a sample size of two its hard to be sure.

All in all I really do like this gun. I think it has some noteworthy improvements over the 365. I wish the sights were more on for this gun, but realistically I would want to buy a CO gun anyway. I really do think I may end up replacing my 365 XL with a CO version of this little gun.
Thanks for the very informative review Epeeist.

So just a quick follow up. I had the HeckKitten out for another range session of about 100 rounds and James was spot on with the hold. Its a serious type 3 hold, but it is consistent. At 20 yards I was having to completely cover the plates with the sights, but if I did my job it did its job. Not crazy about the choice to go with a type 3 hold, since I am a fan of actually seeing what I am shooting, but it works and I am sure some folks prefer it.

I don't know why, but I have it in my head as a European style hold, so that just could be how HS is building them. My only other SA XDM guns have had adjustable sights so it was a non-issue and never have noticed it before. I have an SA XDM in 10mm coming next week, so we will see if its the same type of hold.

I guess the final verdict on rather I like it as much or more as the 365 XL is this: I ordered an Optics Ready version this morning. :) I guess I am officially an HeckKitten convert. I think I will have to get some hello kitty/HeckKitten artwork on my OR carry gun. If so I will be sure to post some pics of that as well.

Back