testtest

Avoid Being a Target — Is Your Pistol Truly Concealed?

Thanks - I just need to figure out what the heck a mono block + ulticlip would get me... and if that would be the way to go. I will definitely keep this in mind for my next carry gun. The jury is still out on whether it will be the new Mod.3, Walther PDP-F, or the Echelon - and I'd love to be able to EDC the Echelon, but it's definitely a size upgrade from my XD Mod.2 subcompact.
Utiliclip is more robust than the plastic clips, although I have some with the plastic clips and they have never failed me. The Utiliclip is more difficult to get off your belt so more suitable if you are very active and going to be laying down or like actually working and doing stuff. My first AIWB I bought with the Utiliclip, but all the subsequent ones I just went with the polymer clips. It's way easier to remove the entire holster and gun from your pants.
The mono block, I think, is a foam wedge that attaches at the muzzle end of the holster to tilt the grip back into your body and reduce printing. I tried them and the advantage was minimal. I definitely recommend the "Claw" though.

All that stuff is really for AIWB. If you're carrying strong side IWB I wouldn't bother with any of it and in my personal experience I would not use a full kydex holster. I would use a hybrid like the Crossbreed Tuck.

20241018_090621.jpg

If you throw a rock in Colorado Springs you're going to hit a middle aged white guy, with a military haircut, wearing Wrangler cargo pants and a camp shirt.

When I'm out in public people almost never pay attention to me.. if I notice somebody is paying attention to me I'm paying attention to them

ETA: and if you really want to not be noticed make sure your shirt is OFG (Old Fart Green) like mine

View attachment 68503

If you throw a rock in Colorado Springs you're going to hit a middle aged white guy, with a military haircut, wearing Wrangler cargo pants and a camp shirt.

When I'm out in public people almost never pay attention to me.. if I notice somebody is paying attention to me I'm paying attention to them
I look just like everyone else. Except much better looking. :cool:

Except a few special circumstances at various times, I have been carrying a concealed pistol strongside OWB for 54 years. I learned long ago that if you are going to carry a concealed pistol you have to dress around the gun.
my shirts are all oversized, like me. You also have to get it out in a hurry when you need it, which means training the way you carry it..

There's all this talk about body shape. Round is a shape, right?

Except a few special circumstances at various times, I have been carrying a concealed pistol strongside OWB for 54 years. I learned long ago that if you are going to carry a concealed pistol you have to dress around the gun.
my shirts are all oversized, like me. You also have to get it out in a hurry when you need it, which means training the way you carry it..

There's all this talk about body shape. Round is a shape, right?
I always prefer strong side in OWB holsters, but for at least 6 months of the year that isn't gonna happen. The best thing to happen to me in the last year is that I finally broke down and tried AIWB. You saw the picture. I'm carrying a 3.4" 9mm loaded with 13 rounds and topped with a Holosun and a spare 13 round mag. In a simple t-shirt. And it's comfortable.

Tl/DR: I'm picky about my shoes. I think it's because I've had so many jobs that require me to be on my feet or walking for most of my shift and because I did a lot of hiking in the mountains. The best boots that I've found for serious walking or hiking are the Belleville's

I went to Basic Training in February 1988 in Oklahoma. They issued us those crappy leather boots that didn't have any insole or insulation and weren't waterproof and I froze my damn feet off.

Shortly after I got to Germany Corcoran boots introduced the Matterhorn field boot.

Screenshot_20241019_111446_Samsung Internet.jpg

They were the first Gortex lined boots I ever saw. Everybody that I knew that had a pair said they were wonderful but my feet were still cold. I think it's because my feet sweat a lot anyway and the all leather Gore-Tex lined boots were too hot for me.

Right before I got out of the army Matterhorn started making summer boots that were very similar to my Bellevills. Those were the best military boots I ever had.

While I was doing security I went through a pair of those cheap Walmart boots every year and after about three years I decided that I wanted something like my old Matterhorns

Screenshot_20241019_110937_Samsung Internet.jpg

What I found was these Belleville series 700 "duty" boots. They were waterproof and Gore-Tex lined but most of the upper was fabric so they weren't too hot.

I kept track of my steps when I was doing security and I walked on average around 2,000 miles every year and the Bellevilles stood up to it.

I think I have hot feet. They advertise them as three season boots but I wore them all year and in the snow and my feet were fine all day long.

I don't wear them around town because they stand out like a sore thumb but I have decided that when we move to the Goat Ranch I'm going to dig them out of storage and start wearing them again.

They cost 200 bucks and I figure I might as well get some use out of them.

20241019_104952.jpg

In town I wear these Lowa Renegades. I don't know how old they actually are but I bought them like brand new at a thrift store for 35 bucks.

I've actually had them out in the mountains. I hiked 18 miles in them with a 35 pound Field Pack and they stood up to it without my feet aching. So I know they'll last forever just wearing them around town and if something happens where I have to walk home. I know I can do it in those shoes.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they cannot be resoled. I would not have bought them new because of that but for 35 bucks used they were worth it

Last edited:
I have several friends that carry as often as I do (which is every day) and we're always keeping a look out for each other, to make sure we're not inadvertently printing. Matter of fact, my wife has asked me, many times, if I was carrying or not. I think it's mainly because my EDC is the Hellcat Pro. Even with the red dot sight it's easily concealed in my OWB holster. BTW, another good article from our friends at The Armory!

Back