testtest

Bolt assembly vs BCG

Caro

Elite
So this is a stoopid question but I can’t find answer anywhere....

Does Springfield sell bolts and bcgs as Saint replacement parts? If not, can I just buy any ole M16 bolt and stick it in my Springfield bolt carrier?

I may or may not have bought a M16 bolt and may or may not have been able to make it fit into the original Springfield carrier...

Last edited:
There’s nothing wrong with having an M16 bolt or carrier. Contrary to common belief, it’s not illegal (also, it’s only the carrier that is different between M16/FA and “AR”; bolts are identical).

And any in-spec bolt should drop right on and run, if your upper is in spec...it might be a good idea to try a go-no go headspace gauge first, though...

There’s nothing wrong with having an M16 bolt or carrier. Contrary to common belief, it’s not illegal (also, it’s only the carrier that is different between M16/FA and “AR”; bolts are identical).

And any in-spec bolt should drop right on and run, if your upper is in spec...it might be a good idea to try a go-no go headspace gauge first, though...

Thanks... yeah I saw that the SA was M16 so I bought a M16 bolt as a spare.

But that new bolt, with tons of lube on it, was struggling to fit that SA carrier. I’m on the waitlist for a bcg to go with the new bolt but I was hoping the new bolt would slide right into the SA carrier.

The sear in the trigger assembly works differently for full and or a 3 round burst. But I'll echo Hans suggestion and make sure headspace is safe and go/ no-go check. I have had some in the 15 and 10 that didn't headspace properly. Even if you bought a complete bcg it doesn't mean it will headspace properly.

By the way! For future reference, there is no stupid questions! I have been told differently by teachers and parents. Here every question is a good question! It could be silly or comical, but still welcome!

Do today's AR style rifles need replacement bolts, carriers, and other replacement parts due to wear and tear?

By the way! For future reference, there is no stupid questions! I have been told differently by teachers and parents. Here every question is a good question! It could be silly or comical, but still welcome!

Thanks! I’ve seen videos where bolts and firing pins break... now I’m sure these shooters were shooting more than just .223 but still.

So, after the election, I thought it was a good idea to have some basic spare parts on hand going into 2021.

I fired a M16A1 in military school and I swear the rifling was so worn that the bullet bounced down the barrel before exiting. I had a hard time grouping my zero. Note. Service school rifles have thousands of rounds through them.

Whew... finally got the new bolt tested with go/no go gauges. Everything is good. Thanks for the advice!

Note to self. Next time, just buy a whole new AR to have as a spare. I almost turned my spare bolt into trash when the ejector decided it wanted to fly to the moon and see the stars. It was only by the grace of God that I found that little mofo.

I honestly believe I’d cry if I had to remove/re-install another ejector. Yes. I’d cry. Like a little tiny baby.

Whew... finally got the new bolt tested with go/no go gauges. Everything is good. Thanks for the advice!

Note to self. Next time, just buy a whole new AR to have as a spare. I almost turned my spare bolt into trash when the ejector decided it wanted to fly to the moon and see the stars. It was only by the grace of God that I found that little mofo.

I honestly believe I’d cry if I had to remove/re-install another ejector. Yes. I’d cry. Like a little tiny baby.
Next time you’re doing anything like that with small parts and springs is do the work inside a gallon “Or Larger” clear plastic bag this way they won’t disappear if they go flying.

Next time you’re doing anything like that with small parts and springs is do the work inside a gallon “Or Larger” clear plastic bag this way they won’t disappear if they go flying.

But there shall not be a next time.

I can’t handle working with tiny parts.

That sounded very wrong.

But it’s true.

I feel like I need to buy a spare ejector just in case though.

Right now I just have this spare bolt and I now know it works with the original Springfield carrier. I figure if the original Springfield bolt cracks, I can drop this spare bolt right in there.
From your earlier post did you buy the go and no go gauges or someone else tested it for you? If you have them then you can test the spare bolt without the carrier just too make sure it's correct. Glad you got what you needed!

From your earlier post did you buy the go and no go gauges or someone else tested it for you? If you have them then you can test the spare bolt without the carrier just too make sure it's correct. Glad you got what you needed!

Yes, I bought and used a go gauge and a field gauge to test that spare bolt.

Once the bolt passed on the go gauge, I placed 2 pieces of Scotch tape on the back of the gauge, put the gauge back in and that was a no go. I then, just to make sure, put the field gauge in and that was a no as well.

That’s my only spare bolt at the moment. And now it’s been tested. The gauge stuff was easy. It was getting the ejector out and back in that was a PITA.

If I were to ever need to headspace another AR, I’m gonna get the notched gauges because the ejector and I are no longer friends.

Here's a good video from Brownells going over what extra AR parts you should have on hand.

Brownells has tons of informative videos on YouTube that are definitely worth a watch. Their smithbuster series is awesome also.

Back