testtest

CARE CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE AGING BIRD DOG

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
As much as we hate it, our faithful companions do get older and eventually cross that rainbow bridge. They bring us so much love and companionship throughout their lives, that we must take extra care of them in their senior years.

There are a few steps dog owners can take to help their loyal pups enjoy their later years as much as possible.

1717859786845.png

As much as we hate it, our faithful companions do get older and eventually cross that rainbow bridge. They bring us so much love and companionship throughout their lives, that we must take extra care of them in their senior years.

There are a few steps dog owners can take to help their loyal pups enjoy their later years as much as possible.

View attachment 59746
That very first paragraph says it all, and sadly so many never stop to even think about it. I see so many examples of folks, really good folks who never realize how they may be mistreating their dogs. Like seeing dogs that are house dogs all off-season, then expected to just go out and run/hunt all day long with with no planned training to bring them back up to hunting condition, soft pads sensitive to thorns, rocks, and especially the heat on rocks or over asphault roads. Or these absolute idiots who think it's manly to haul their dogs in the back of a PU truck in the summertime. Never thinking about those black poly liners that absorb the heat to temperatures the dog owner would never expect, and rarely thinks of.

Just a couple years ago I parked at a local building supply store next to a PU with a really beautiful pointer in the back. This was probably the opening day or maybe 2nd of the bird season. As I walked by the truck toward the store I could hear the dog whimpering so I stopped to see why. That damned black liner was so hot I literally could not lay my hand on it. We're in the south and it was just past mid-day. The dog was literally pacing back and forth looking for a spot to stand on that didn't hurt him. He was totally worn out from the pacing, he wanted to sit, but couldn't because that put his balls right down onto the plastic liner.

I gave the dog a pan of water I had as he was definitely thirsty. I had one of the store employees try to page the SOB who left the pointer in the 'blue' ???? truck to please check on his dog, but after 10 minutes of him not showing up I called local police. They said unfortunately there was no crime at the moment they could respond to. I asked if I could load the dog into my truck UP front with some AC so the poor thing could at least get a break and wait for the POS to return from the store looking for his dog. They informed me that I could/would be guilty of theft if I did, and that if there turned out to be an altercation with the owner ( :mad:and there most likely would have been :mad:) it could be really bad for me.

So, I took a baby blanket out from under my seat center console that the wife used to use when she got cold riding in my truck and spread it out in the back of his truck just a couple of folds for the dog to sit on. Then I left the pos a note, very clearly explaining how lucky he had been since I took care of his dog for him and just how happy I'd be to 'take care' of him as well. Well, it wasn't exactly those words. All he had to do was call me (left him my cell number), and promised I'd be at his/my truck in a wink.

I'm not sure he believed I would come out, take care of him, or what the problem was, but he never called. And he was gone when I finished my business and came back out. And the pos sob stole my blanket as well. But I'm glad he did and hoped he left in the truck for that poor dog. I looked and hoped for a long time to see that blanket laying in the back of that blue truck sometime later but never did.

Now I didn't write this to say what a bad ass I am, actually I'm an ol' softy (especially for animals), or how important my blanket was, or even what a real pos he was. You see, after I got home and began to really think about the whole situation is when I realized that some folks, in all other circumstances just don't realize how bad they can treat their dogs all while thinking they're doing right by their animal friends. Thinking back over many years, I remembered many times hearing how someone thought he was 'getting the dog outside where "he loved to be", or "taking/letting him have the run he wants" 'cause he's been "cooped up inside all winter", before season starts, etc. All good thoughts and hearts, just not thinking it through.

So I will accept that even though I still today see some young folks especially, hauling their hog dogs around loose in the backs of trucks totally able to jump or fall out, or tied in but with a lead just long enough the dog can fall out and hang itself over the bedside before the driver would ever notice, and many other acts of what appears to be stupidity, maybe is just an owner trying to do well by his pet and just not being aware. The fact is we sometimes just don't think it completely through and we're awfully sorry when we allow something bad to happen to our dogs. I still cannot conceive of just what good this pos was doing for his beautiful pointer, but I'll give him the opportunity to explain it to me if he ever decides to return my blanket.

My wife and I have adopted several Brittanies and a couple Springers from "American Brittany Rescue" over many years and always tried to do the very best by them ... even those that wouldn't hunt ... but those were all her dogs ;), mine were all great bird hunters. We both tried very hard to do the very best we could for them since many we adopted came from pretty rough beginnings. We never cut corners with them, they were treated like family with exception that in order to get up on furniture they had to ask first, nothing but the best in vet care, etc, etc. As thoughtful as we both were I sometimes wonder if there was anything we could/should have done better/different. We each have our all time favorite's remains here with us in beautiful little wooden boxes engraved with their names that are destined to go with she and I when our time comes. Sound silly? ... no, not to a real animal lover who really appreciates them and has seen some of the worst. I worked some amount of time on a pitt-bull/hog dog/fighting dog rescue group and have seen the worst of the worst.

Last thing: If you do happen to be out and about and see a bright, cranberry colored baby blanket in the back of a blue PU truck, all covered with about a 45-50 lb dog's tracks all over it, please give me a call and let me know. I'd still like to get that back, as well as a little satisfaction for me and that poor dog. ;) :):):D:rolleyes: OK, rant over!!!

We always had Gordon Setters.
My favorite childhood bird dog. Flushed a lot of birds for me View attachment 59805
Gordons are great dogs! Just a little bigger in general than I preferred. I always tried to find Brittanies in the 30-35lb class. And they hunt close in which I liked. Actually that's the main reason I preferred the Britts over GS's and or most pointers. Pointers are typically a little more independent and hunt more for themselves than for you in many cases. Back to the Gordons, they are beautiful animals with great temperaments, just a little too big on average for our lifestyle. But believe me when I say I understand what a "Favorite childhood bird dog" means to us all. Not very many relationships anymore special than a boy and his dog!!!

Back