testtest

Cheapest Shotgun You Own But It's A Keeper?

I paid $200 for a Mossberg 500 about 30 years ago. 18.5" barrel and extended feed tube. It's sporting some updated furniture and is within arms reach of me as I type this.

I honestly can't remember how many shotguns I own exactly. I think maybe 12 or 13. Probably the cheapest one I have is an old Stevens 20 gauge single shot. I think my old man paid $80 for it. It was my first shotgun. I was 8 or 9.

Mossberg Maverick 20 gauge purchased for $179 from Academy a few years back. I used it to introduce my boys to shotguns. I swapped the ribbed 22" barrel for a discontinued 18.5" security barrel from ebay last year and turned it into our home defense shotgun.

Old Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12-gauge with a 20-inch barrel. Bought it back in the early 90's for something like $200.00 on sale. Started out as a pistol grip but I had a synthetic stock with an R3 recoil pad installed right after I bought it. The reason I've never parted with it is mainly because it holds 7+1 two and three quarter inch rounds or 5 + 1 3-inch magnums if you have the shoulder to handle it. I keep it loaded up with 2.75 inch 00 Buckshot just in case I need to remodel the house and I'm in a hurry to get thru those pesky walls. I haven't shot it in a quite a while, the last time I did, my surgically repaired right shoulder let me know about it for about two weeks but I just can't get rid of it. It was a steal as far as price goes and it's a wicked looking shotgun, and uber reliable.

I traded a Steven/savage 311 double barrel that I paid $100 for, for 2 Mossberg 500's promptly sold one for $150 and have had the other ever since. I have 3 different barrels and it is the all around 12 gauge. I have had this thing since the mid 80's.

Back