testtest

Classic Gun Review: Smith & Wesson Model 1006 10mm Pistol

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Classic Gun review of the S&W 1006 10mm pistol. I always liked the metal framed pistols from S&W, missed them when everyone polymer, good story.

I was more impressed by the inset video of the guy shooting the G-20 and the frame burst. I have been looking for examples of over-pressure issues with loads, and those are hard to find. My 10mm Ronin sets back the bullet something fierce in chambering and I have been mildly concerned about it since I noticed it. I did a non-scientific test and chambered a S&B 180grain FMJ 5 times in succession and measured over 1/8" bullet setback (.126" to be specific, relative to other non-chambered factory loads). Fortunately this S&B load is on the light side... Thanks for the post Annihilator.

That 10 was a great pistol—the most accurate pistol I’ve fired except for a 1911 Professional model 45. I wish I’d kept it instead of selling it when the 10mm bubble burst. Too bad 10 ammo was and is stupidly expensive.

I was more impressed by the inset video of the guy shooting the G-20 and the frame burst. I have been looking for examples of over-pressure issues with loads, and those are hard to find. My 10mm Ronin sets back the bullet something fierce in chambering and I have been mildly concerned about it since I noticed it. I did a non-scientific test and chambered a S&B 180grain FMJ 5 times in succession and measured over 1/8" bullet setback (.126" to be specific, relative to other non-chambered factory loads). Fortunately this S&B load is on the light side... Thanks for the post Annihilator.
Am I reading your post correctly in that when you chamber a 'factory' 180gr FMJ, it actually sets the bullet back into the case a little over 1/8"? If that's the fact, after the set back is the COL still within SAAMI COL specs for that load?

Curious and inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

That shouldn't happen.

Either the ammo is out of spec, or the pistol chamber is.

My .02

The ammo was sent back to the factory and determined to faulty. Bullets were not crimped properly, causing them to set back WAY into the casing during chambering (I presume), causing a catastrophic over pressure. Not sure how much of a feed ramp a Glock uses...maybe it was when the cartridge hit the end of the chamber...

Classic Gun review of the S&W 1006 10mm pistol. I always liked the metal framed pistols from S&W, missed them when everyone polymer, good story.

The S&W pistols of this style were well built but I never became fond of the " push up for off safe " after having started out with a 1911. I owned a model 915 S&W and just never got into it.

Underwood Extreme Penetrator 10mm. I just re-watched the video, the bullets were found to be undersized after a factory examination. You could find the video embedded in the video of this thread's OP, or search for "G20 go boom" on Youtube
This is the reason I stick to the main big ammo manufacturers, I don’t mess with the smaller or ones I never heard of before, just me

Underwood Extreme Penetrator 10mm. I just re-watched the video, the bullets were found to be undersized after a factory examination. You could find the video embedded in the video of this thread's OP, or search for "G20 go boom" on Youtube
Yeh thanks, I watched the video but apparently misunderstood your post .... I thought you were saying you sent your ammo back for testing.

This is the reason I stick to the main big ammo manufacturers, I don’t mess with the smaller or ones I never heard of before, just me
I don't think it matters what brand ammo you use considering I've had bad ammo from a few manufacturers. I've had some Hornaday hollow point 9mm where the bullets easily get pushed down into the case. And I've had some Winchester .300blk ammo where there was an obvious difference in bullet grain weight between rounds in the same factory sealed box.

Here's a picture of a Fiocchi .223 round I found in a factory sealed box that somehow made it past QC. This round was bought in 2019.

Screenshot_20220424-231455_Photos.jpg

I have to say I must be extremely lucky. In the hundreds of thousands of factory rounds I have bought and consumed over a 40 year period I have never ran into a factory round that was bunk, misshapen or a squib. All three times I had ammo issues they were reloads. One .357 round my old man reloaded wouldn't fit in the cylinder of my Blackhawk. Some supposed quality 9mm my son in law gave me failed to fire in the first mag I shot, so I gave them back to him. This was recently and I only tried them due to the current state of the economy of ammo. The other one was the squib in my then new Makarov .380 ( 35-ish years ago) that was from a box of factory reloads and which sent me on my life long rule of never firing reloads in semi automatics, the aforementioned 9mm debacle with my son in law notwithstanding. So, back to no reloads in semi automatics.

I don't think it matters what brand ammo you use considering I've had bad ammo from a few manufacturers. I've had some Hornaday hollow point 9mm where the bullets easily get pushed down into the case. And I've had some Winchester .300blk ammo where there was an obvious difference in bullet grain weight in the same factory sealed box.

Here's a picture of a Fiocchi .223 round I found in a factory sealed box that somehow made it past QC. This round was bought in 2019.

View attachment 26760
6EAD1449-310D-417C-BF76-9A4A96C1DD25.gif

Back