testtest

Cleaning 38 carbon out of a 357 cylinder

S

Simon

I recently purchased a Ruger SP101 357 magnum. 3" barrel. I've been shooting both 38 and 357 rounds. I've noticed that after shooting the 38s there's a carbon buildup in the cylinders. After 50 rounds I run a dry bore snake through the barrel and cylinders at the range. Seems to be a bitch getting the cylinders clean. I'm using Ballistol when I get home for a more thorough cleaning. Just curious if anyone has any experienced advice about making this cleaning process more efficient. Thanks!

Thats pretty normal when shooting .38’s in a .357Mag, I usually use a bore brush wet to clean out the chambers. They used to make what they called a chamber brush made out of stainless steel, but this brush is for chambers only, NOT THE BORE! My opinion is shoot the .357Mag ammo first then shoot your .38’s, it will be easier to load the magnum rounds first before the build up occurs which may make it harder to put the magnum rounds into the cylinder. When you clean the cylinder, use a good solvent or CLP, let it soak for a few minutes, then use the bore brush and scrub out the cylinders.

Chuck a cleaning rod in an electric drill, and wrap some scotch brite pad or chore boy, etc in the cleaning jag. Soak the pad liberally in a good solvent like Butch's Bore Shine, etc, insert the pad in the cylinder, and at a low speed, let the drill do it's thing.

You can also just use a Bore brush, but you'll usually wreck it...scotch grits pads are cheaper.

Or, invest in a Lewis Lead Remover.

Back