testtest

Difference between Saint Edge and Victor

Bassbob

Emissary
So I'm looking at AR pistols and I see SA has a few. Can anyone explain to an AR newbie the differences between the Saint, Victor and Edge pistols? The Saint Edge looks awesome, but it's $1400. Is it worth the significant price difference?

To be clear I am not talking about the Victor Carbine. Specifically I am talking about the Victor and Edge pistols. I think the Victor has a 7.5" barrel and the Edge has a 10.5' barrel. Unless I'm wrong. There are so many models, it's confusing.

To be clear I am not talking about the Victor Carbine. Specifically I am talking about the Victor and Edge pistols. I think the Victor has a 7.5" barrel and the Edge has a 10.5' barrel. Unless I'm wrong. There are so many models, it's confusing.
Either way, same applies except for barrel length between the guns. Lowers and bolt group are the same regardless of carbine length or pistol length barrel. Only difference is barrel and stock or pistol grip in this case

Either way, same applies except for barrel length between the guns. Lowers and bolt group are the same regardless of carbine length or pistol length barrel. Only difference is barrel and stock or pistol grip in this case
Sorry, but the edge is it's own animal. Has premium (super compact) Maxim stabilizer brace. Drop in trigger group, ambidextrous safety and proprietary lower receiver with flared magwell.
Think of the edge as the weapon that has all the bells and whistles you don't have to upgrade. The only thing you might wanna add is a red dot.
The plain saint is entry level but with premium upgrades in furniture.
The victor is a step up from saint. A few more upfits but still room for mods. The 308 victor is in a class its own and nowhere near what the 308 victor pistol is. You really gotta play with them and look at the spec sheet. I think you'll find that in the long run , the edge is the cheapest, you just need optics and extra mags

So are there any issues shooting 5.56 out of a 7" barrel ?
Bassbob I have both of these Saint Pistols, my Victor Pistol is chambered in 300BO, my Edge Pistol in 5.56
BOTH guns rock right out of the box, my Victor needed some minor gas block adjustment to cycle cleanly and I only shoot supersonic ammunition.
My Edge pistol has been FLAWLESS!
It eats everything I put through it.
I do chuckle about the drop in trigger group Statement above because mine does not have that feature but does have the high end trigger with a very smooth release.
You will be extremely happy with either one.

Sorry, but the edge is it's own animal. Has premium (super compact) Maxim stabilizer brace. Drop in trigger group, ambidextrous safety and proprietary lower receiver with flared magwell.
Think of the edge as the weapon that has all the bells and whistles you don't have to upgrade. The only thing you might wanna add is a red dot.
The plain saint is entry level but with premium upgrades in furniture.
The victor is a step up from saint. A few more upfits but still room for mods. The 308 victor is in a class its own and nowhere near what the 308 victor pistol is. You really gotta play with them and look at the spec sheet. I think you'll find that in the long run , the edge is the cheapest, you just need optics and extra mags
I was referring to an edge carbine vs edge pistol
Likewise a victor carbine vs a victor pistol

Bassbob I have both of these Saint Pistols, my Victor Pistol is chambered in 300BO, my Edge Pistol in 5.56
BOTH guns rock right out of the box, my Victor needed some minor gas block adjustment to cycle cleanly and I only shoot supersonic ammunition.
My Edge pistol has been FLAWLESS!
It eats everything I put through it.
I do chuckle about the drop in trigger group Statement above because mine does not have that feature but does have the high end trigger with a very smooth release.
You will be extremely happy with either one.
I thought mine was just a fluke. My trigger group looks traditional as well. It is a good, smooth trigger, just not what was advertised. Strangely enough, I like the nickel boron trigger in my victor better.

My .308 is not a Saint but a Savage MSR Hunter AR10 and I’m very happy with that gun, I also had the same gun in 6.5 Creedmoor but that gun had issues so I sold it. No love lost.
Saint .308 is so damn light and well managed recoil. All my buddies always want to use it iver their AR-10’s.
my 14 year old has no issues with it and usually takes it instead of my Grendel.

Ballistically it’s not ideal. I won’t go into details unless you want me to. If I was running a barrel that short it would be 300 BO.
You have a valid point however shooting both I find the Edge Pistol in 5.56 is more reliable in cycling and will shoot anything I put in it without objection, my Saint Victor in 300BO however; no matter how I adjust the gas block won’t cycle subsonic. After much research I would need to change out the buffer spring or go with a suppresser just to shoot heavier subsonic rounds. That to me is just to much work.

Saint .308 is so damn light and well managed recoil. All my buddies always want to use it iver their AR-10’s.
my 14 year old has no issues with it and usually takes it instead of my Grendel.
My Savage is most likely heavier then the Saint version although I haven’t done a spec comparison. I use mine as a bench gun for long distance target and steel plate shooting. I have a Saint Rifle in 5.56
“Second generation with the floating hand guard” for off shoulder shooting.

So are there any issues shooting 5.56 out of a 7" barrel ?

I'll agree with @BangBang and say it’s not ideal...velocity is heavily reduced (often down to the low-mid 2k fps), which means bullet performance is, too. FMJ tends not to upset/fragment, and becomes an “icepick“ type wound; you will not penetrate most armor; JHP or SP won’t get much expansion...and so on.

Also—muzzle flash and concussion from that short of a barrel can be brutal; if you plan on using it for a HD weapon...a good friend who is on a multi-county Tactical team described it as “damn near a flash bang going off a foot from your face”. And most 556 suppressors aren’t rated for a 7.5“ barrel.

I'm not a fan.

You have a valid point however shooting both I find the Edge Pistol in 5.56 is more reliable in cycling and will shoot anything I put in it without objection, my Saint Victor in 300BO however; no matter how I adjust the gas block won’t cycle subsonic. After much research I would need to change out the buffer spring or go with a suppresser just to shoot heavier subsonic rounds. That to me is just to much work.
Something doesn’t sound right? As you know, having an adjustable gas block gives the user the option to change the setting to run subs and supers. That’s odd it’s giving you issues like this. Changing a buffer spring is no big deal, an easy swap.

Hello Everyone, I hope to attach this question to this thread, instead of starting a new one. I know this would have been of interest to me when I was deciding which 16" Saint rifle to go with...two parts:

1. Is this the way the new B5 Saint Victor 5.56's are shipping? Totally exposed (open) butt, (See images), I did not expect such a total oversight and the website shows the compartment on both the Edge and Victor?

2. I purchased from a reputable dealer (NW Armory), latest batch according to them, and there is a noticeable looseness and rattle in the Buttstock. This does have practical consequences when using the sights due to the play in proper cheek-weld when taking shots over 50 yards, where the ability to hold steady on the stock matters.

3. The operation and safety manual lists the diagrams for the Saint and the Edge, but, not the Victor, leading me to believe that the Saint is the reference point for the Victor, but, the diagrams do not correlate precisely and leave me with out a reference from Springfield for my firearm.

I appreciate if anyone can weigh in or has any answers...I have acclimatized to the Scar and TSx Tactical and still trying to figure out if I bought a toy or another quality Springfield Firearm...XD owner since early 2000s and XDM since 2007, SA M1a was my first rifle, handed down to me last CE. I have stuck with Springfield through it all and looking forward to seeing what it can do today.
Feel free to ask any question at anytime.
I hope I’m not the only one confused as you mention the “stock” and show pictures of the pistol grip? You also mention a rattle in the stock? Is there a compartment that may have something in it? The B5 version is relatively new I believe and if xdman sees this thread and post he may have more information to share.

Something doesn’t sound right? As you know, having an adjustable gas block gives the user the option to change the setting to run subs and supers. That’s odd it’s giving you issues like this. Changing a buffer spring is no big deal, an easy swap.
Not the only one, it’s been brought up in multiple threads, some With issues more severe then mine. For me I took the time to adjust the gas block for optimum performance with supersonic and I’m totally happy with it.
I can still shoot subsonic ammo as it shoots and ejects just fine just won’t cycle to reload and when it rarely does cycle enough to grab a round from the mag it jams before going into full battery.

Back