testtest

Difficulty Inserting Hellcat Mags in Mag Well

I've been carrying for 3 years and finally upgraded to a Hellcat OSP in July bought from my local gun store. Even though it's got a much bigger kick than I'm used to, I'm very pleased with it. I did find one issue with it, though, that I'm hoping I can get some thoughts on...

When I insert the mag into the mag well, I feel like I'm doing so pretty firmly but it almost never fully seats without an additional slam from my palm. It hangs on by a bit of friction in the well but will slip right out if I hold the gun upright. It seems to happen more often with the 11 rd mag than the 13. I'm almost never able to fully seat the 11 rd mag on the first try. It doesn't seem to depend on what ammo I load, either.

I haven't had this experience with my Taurus G2C (my only other comparable handgun), my friend's P365, or any of the carry guns I've tried at ranges.

Anyone experiencing this? It's literally the only disappointment I have with the gun. That need to give an extra slam could be a big problem in defensive situation if I have to do a tactical reload.

Thanks for any thoughts!

How are you inserting the mag?

Is the slide retracted, or is it closed?
Always closed. It's my carry gun so I always like a round in the chamber. I'm inserting the mag to chamber a round or after chambering a round and dropping the mag to replace the chambered round.

Always closed. It's my carry gun so I always like a round in the chamber. I'm inserting the mag to chamber a round or after chambering a round and dropping the mag to replace the chambered round.
The XDs are the same way. If you download by one it is easier. Is your mag release hard to push in with a fully loaded mag as well. Downloading by one makes that easier too.

I would just load up magazine and leave it at that. One round is not going to make a difference. I would not worry about a "tactical" reload either.

Just a strong mag spring.

If either just chamber the top round and carry that way, or get used to giving it a whack. The spring will soften eventually (mainly due to load/unload cycles…so use it for practice) and it won’t be as much if an issue.

More rounds. More better. Since it doesn't make much different downloading a round, I'll run bunch of rounds through and see if that helps. Thanks all!

Hmm. That's all I got.

For the record, I don't download my XD. I just smack the mag in.
Thats my solution for just about everything. Hit it again, if that don't work hit it harder, and harder, and....
when I was younger it would eventually take flying lessons. I've matured since then, or I like to tell myself so.

When I dropped a poorly seated magazine during an IPSC match, a Master Class competitor said "One should seat one's magazines in a manly manner." Smack that puppy in.

I have experienced that but after training with the gun frequently, I have developed the habit of setting the magazine with a strong hand and then smacking the base to insure it is seated properly. When I do that, the magazine stays put.

I notice the same on my Hellcat Pro, after inserting the mag I give it a light smack on the bottom to make sure it seats properly.

Back