testtest

Does it make a difference?

Does the brand of ammo have any effect on accuracy? I purchased some inexpensive 9mm rounds and I seem to be less accurate. Or it just may be I was having as off (bad) night, I'm not sure.
it is possible...they may load them to a minimum to medium charge, to hold down the costs?

i do know that some lower priced ammo can be "dirty" or smokey...that tupe is many times sold in a white box.....

i "try" to stay away from Magtech, to me, that is dirty, more so than say some of the others.

i do believe nearly all the makers of ammo, have specs printed on the box somewhere, if not, do a search of them, and compare to other brands.

for me, for "plinking"..?? i could care less on feet per second, as long as i hit the target, in the "body mass" area, i'm good.

then too, even the best of the best competition shooters...have a bad day

Hi,

Sure, there are a few factors that affect accuracy. Is the powder load consistent? Is the bullet shape/weight true and precise? When the bullet is pressed into the case, is it absolutely straight? Machines have tolerances, materials have tolerances, if too many specs are at the fringes of those tolerances you could find very noticeable inconsistencies.

And that's my profound glimpse into the obvious for today. ;)

Yeah, I've not had great luck with that stuff in the white box either. :LOL: But, to be honest, I'm not such a great marksman that I can blame a bad day on the ammo. I shoot a lot of Blazer, S&B, some PMC, mostly 124 grain.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited:
Hi,

Sure, there are a few factors that affect accuracy. Is the powder load consistent? Is the bullet shape/weight true and precise? When the bullet is pressed into the case, is it absolutely straight? Machines have tolerances, materials have tolerances, if too many specs are at the fringes of those tolerances you could find very noticeable inconsistencies.

And that's my profound glimpse into the obvious for today. ;)

Yeah, I've not had great luck with that stuff in the white box either. :LOL: But, to be honest, I'm not such a great marksman that I can blame a bad day on the ammo. I shoot a lot of Blazer, S&B, some PMC, mostly 124 grain.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Your "profound glimpse" is profoundly appreciated!

Does the brand of ammo have any effect on accuracy? I purchased some inexpensive 9mm rounds and I seem to be less accurate. Or it just may be I was having as off (bad) night, I'm not sure.

I’ll start with the TL: DR version:

Yes, it can.

And getting into the weeds…

It usually won’t, IF you are sticking with major manufacturers—Federal/CCI, Remington, Winchester, S&B, Fiocchi…most of their ammo-even blaster-grade-is going to be pretty consistent, and pretty consistent with each other.

Getting into some of the cheaper stuff can be (literally) hit & miss. Often the consistency just isn’t there, and you’ll find yourself shooting a pattern, not a group…which sounds like is what you’re getting.

There is also the possibility that your particular pistol just doesn’t like this particular lot of ammunition, which is a very real thing. I know I have an Sig P228 that ate WWB just fine, but I picked up a case that it hated, but my other pistols fed it just fine. Tried again later with a different lot, and it fed just fine…*shrug*…tolerance stacking is a thing, and I think that was the case there.

I’ll start with the TL: DR version:

Yes, it can.

And getting into the weeds…

It usually won’t, IF you are sticking with major manufacturers—Federal/CCI, Remington, Winchester, S&B, Fiocchi…most of their ammo-even blaster-grade-is going to be pretty consistent, and pretty consistent with each other.

Getting into some of the cheaper stuff can be (literally) hit & miss. Often the consistency just isn’t there, and you’ll find yourself shooting a pattern, not a group…which sounds like is what you’re getting.

There is also the possibility that your particular pistol just doesn’t like this particular lot of ammunition, which is a very real thing. I know I have an Sig P228 that ate WWB just fine, but I picked up a case that it hated, but my other pistols fed it just fine. Tried again later with a different lot, and it fed just fine…*shrug*…tolerance stacking is a thing, and I think that was the case there.
I'm feeling a bit better about myself. Last week using CCI 115 grain I was getting decent groups at 11 yards. This week using the cheaper one, at the same distance, was like shooting buckshot at the target.

Yes, yes it does. Quality ammo will usually have much closer tolerances for powder charge, bullet weight etc. Best example I ever saw. A few years ago a buddy bought a bunch of Chinese 7,62 X 39 for $2/box. Thought he got a deal and bought a case. We went to the range with his Russian AK and my Russian SKS. Round one-BANG, case ejected 15’, round 2 “pop”, case landed 2’ from the rifle-and so it went. That garbage wouldn’t group in a barn door at 100 yards-it would have been grossly overpriced at a penny/round. When reloading for precision rifle shooting I weigh/sort bullets-there is often a difference of several tenths/grain. If you sort and load identical (or as close as possible) you’ll be tighter groups. Ditto with powder charges-if they are identical, accuracy improves. Same rules apply for pistol rounds.

Back