testtest

Early M1A Receiver

Way back in the late 70s I purchased a M1A from a gentleman in my Army Reserve unit. He was an armature gun smith. His name, as best I recall, was Jim McCullum (or some variant}, and he built the rifle using a Springfield Armory receiver, serial number 004482, and National Match parts. He built the rifle for his wife, Cindy, who used it in service rifle competitions to include Camp Perry. Jim sold it to me because it was a tad worn for competitions and he was building a new rifle for her. I have some questions;

A. Is the receiver cast or forged?

B. Is it safe to fire?

C. What do you think, for insurance purposes, is it worth?

Way back in the late 70s I purchased a M1A from a gentleman in my Army Reserve unit. He was an armature gun smith. His name, as best I recall, was Jim McCullum (or some variant}, and he built the rifle using a Springfield Armory receiver, serial number 004482, and National Match parts. He built the rifle for his wife, Cindy, who used it in service rifle competitions to include Camp Perry. Jim sold it to me because it was a tad worn for competitions and he was building a new rifle for her. I have some questions;

A. Is the receiver cast or forged?

B. Is it safe to fire?

C. What do you think, for insurance purposes, is it worth?

A. All the Springfield Armory receivers were/are cast.

B. If the original owner replaced it, then there could be a reason. Back in the day the M1A was the rifle for service rifle competitions and typically used a lot, if a serious competitor

Info for consideration, and to draw your own conclusions.

NOTE:

KurtC
20144 posts · Joined 2008

#7 · Feb 21, 2020

But, as per HG's recommendation I'd have a real gunsmith check it out, preferably one with ALOT of M1A experience.

C. I wouldn't pay/assign a premium to a receiver, based on it being "tad worn".

My .02

Last edited:
Back