testtest

EDC Essentials: A List of Must-Haves

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good article on EDC essentials besides your firearm, list of your must haves

Won't disagree with thr list, most are things I carry daily myself. But, as someone who has worn a watch every day for probably 50 years, what is a tactical watch, what makes it tactical, and why and why do I specifically need one over the types I am familiar with. I am familiar with dives watches, fields watches, gmt watches and many others.

I find the addition of tactical to every item one might own to be silly and repugnant. I saw tactical toilet paper one time, figured if I needed tactical to I just needed more roughage.

Last edited:
I carry most of that daily. But no multi-tool. I do keep one in the glove compartment of my vehicles though. I can stick it in my pocket if necessary.
My watch is just a cheap old Timex. Ain't nothing tactical at all. :rolleyes:
I also add a lighter. A wise man once told me that with the most basic of tools (pocket knife) and a means of making fire, a smart man can survive pretty much anything. ;)

I really really recommend having an OC/Pepper Spray type option.

For a couple reasons. 1 you are in far more incidents where Pepper Spray is reasonable force but a firearm or impact item like a flashlight not so much then there is the distance you can keep with pepper spray that you just can’t with an impact item.

2 the often overlooked issue of an aggressive dog. Yes you could shoot it IF it is that aggressive but trust me you do not want that headach especially in an urban city area and why go there when a simple spray of hot sauce sends it on its way, that looks a heck of a lot better than traumatizing everyone around you and having a pass through and risking injury or property damage to others

I really really recommend having an OC/Pepper Spray type option.

For a couple reasons. 1 you are in far more incidents where Pepper Spray is reasonable force but a firearm or impact item like a flashlight not so much then there is the distance you can keep with pepper spray that you just can’t with an impact item.

2 the often overlooked issue of an aggressive dog. Yes you could shoot it IF it is that aggressive but trust me you do not want that headach especially in an urban city area and why go there when a simple spray of hot sauce sends it on its way, that looks a heck of a lot better than traumatizing everyone around you and having a pass through and risking injury or property damage to others
My issue with this is that I have personally watched dogs get sprayed directly in the face with it and keep on coming. And I have been personally shot in the face with it, while I was driving and it sucked, but it didn't incapacitate me. Data exists to back this up. It "Might" work. Just like racking your pump shotgun " Might" deter a home invader.

My issue with this is that I have personally watched dogs get sprayed directly in the face with it and keep on coming. And I have been personally shot in the face with it, while I was driving and it sucked, but it didn't incapacitate me. Data exists to back this up. It "Might" work. Just like racking your pump shotgun " Might" deter a home invader.
My wife used to carry one, left in car one day without me knowing, One very hot day. I get in car press start button, then my face explodes in fire, eyes cannot see cannot breath, felt extremely unique. While rolling on ground trying to feel how much of face was melted off, I wonder why god hit me with lightning and was trying to kill me or why IRA terrorist wired explovsives in car i am good irishman. Turns put pepper spray decided to explode right that particular second and the cubby directed the gas like a claymore into my face. She not allowed pepper spray near me any more.

Last edited:
pocketknife, pipe, zippo, tobacco, hat.

Sld1959, Once upon a time in the prison where I worked it was very dangerous to go to the bathroom. There is just enough space between the door and the floor. A lot of empty mace cans for the number of I/M's it was ever used on.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

While sure there has been some OC fail even handguns fail to stop things. You still have to have effective spray placement humans sure it still burns skin dogs with fur probably fare a little better without a face shot

My experience with OC is as a LEO and I have seen it used hundreds of times as well as used it a few dozen times myself inside Federal Penitentiaries and it shut down stuff quick. Sure there were a couple that could eat it but when they allowed us to carry it it cut staff injuries down by 85%

At a SORT Tactical Leadership Course they exposed us to it and then we had to shoot a course of fire. In LE you will have secondary residual exposure just because you have to go hands on afterwards where as a civilian much less likely. I don’t know how many times I came home with my uniform shirt in a bag and called my wife to not great me and I came through stripping off clothes in the washer and right in the shower (and if it ever happens take a cold shower hot showers open pores and you’ll be sorry)

I have also used it in dogs on the LE side and it has worked.

OC is good and a lot of times a better option all the way around especially as a civilian as you don’t really want to go hands on you just want something to get out of harms way!

pocketknife, pipe, zippo, tobacco, hat.

Sld1959, Once upon a time in the prison where I worked it was very dangerous to go to the bathroom. There is just enough space between the door and the floor. A lot of empty mace cans for the number of I/M's it was ever used on.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Glad you specified it was where you worked. Same with me. I spent 5 years WORKING in the L.A. city jail. But interesting to throw out at a party.

I have carried Sabre Red Gel spray for several years. Main reason for the gel is because of my lungs already being screwed up. If I used regular OC spray I could take myself out very easily.

Won't disagree with thr list, most are things I carry daily myself. But, as someone who has worn a watch every day for probably 50 years, what is a tactical watch, what makes it tactical, and why and why do I specifically need one over the types I am familiar with. I am familiar with dives watches, fields watches, gmt watches and many others.

I find the addition of tactical to every item one might own to be silly and repugnant. I saw tactical toilet paper one time, figured if I needed tactical to I just needed more roughage.
I have a tactical lodge ring. It's large enough to be effective close quarters on chins, and the large diamond is useful for scoring glass before breaking. Lol

I keep a proper trauma kit in all of my cars, but don’t carry a smal IFAK on me because even a small one like a Blue Force micro kit is still cumbersome. This week I bought a new style of tourniquet from Snakestaff Systems called an Everyday Carry Tourniquet which unfolded is the same size as a standard CAT tourniquet but folded up is small enough to fit in your back pocket, or even better, will tuck in a 9mm mag carrier. I certainly recommend having a look at this because it is a quality TQ with none of the bulk of the CAT.

I keep a proper trauma kit in all of my cars, but don’t carry a smal IFAK on me because even a small one like a Blue Force micro kit is still cumbersome. This week I bought a new style of tourniquet from Snakestaff Systems called an Everyday Carry Tourniquet which unfolded is the same size as a standard CAT tourniquet but folded up is small enough to fit in your back pocket, or even better, will tuck in a 9mm mag carrier. I certainly recommend having a look at this because it is a quality TQ with none of the bulk of the CAT.

This...is a great idea!

i should add to the kit in my truck besides trauma kit(s) also carry glass breakers, cBAT tools, towing essentials (of course - Mine sports a nice WARN winch) towels, blankets, oc spray and, lest I forget, a fire extinguisher. Why someone might ask. Well I may have to save someone else's life and not just my own.

For me EDC is completely different than for most. Most of the items listed I have carried for years and don't feel the need to identify them as EDC but my personal likes/habits. Getting into what I consider EDC the only changes for me have been a firearm, holster, and a tactical type belt. There have been some improvements for my lifelong items; keys have been replaced by a fob, knives no longer require a sheath but use a clip, and Titanium watchbands all make for great improvements. The one item that is never mentioned is trying to get through the day with a clear mind.

Back