testtest

Exploding EV's (again)

Jfal

Professional
My neighbor's (now deceased) husband started an automobile recycling business years ago, it is now one of the largest in my state. This morning they had a Tesla parked inside one of the decommissioning buildings with 9 car-hoist/work stations. Car was not "on", or plugged in for charging. It spontaneously exploded, destroying a 30k sq foot building and all of the equipment inside. Turned into a 7-alarm fire, no one hurt. Fire chief commented to my neighbor that this is the 3rd EV that has exploded this year in town (of 6000 residents) that burned down the building or garage in which it was parked. Be warned (note, the chief's comment was specifically "EV's"....not Teslas.

1726097251173.jpeg

i wouldn't trust to park any vehicle in a garage these days..

electrical problems are known even for gasoline powered vehicles.

what i feel will be happening in the not too distant future is, home owners insurance will skyrocket if they own an electric vehicle, and a garage is where it is kept...maybe even a proximity to the dwelling might be included in that policy.

maybe street parking will be more and more common place than the driveway, and the neighbors house.

i wouldn't trust to park any vehicle in a garage these days..

electrical problems are known even for gasoline powered vehicles.

what i feel will be happening in the not too distant future is, home owners insurance will skyrocket if they own an electric vehicle, and a garage is where it is kept...maybe even a proximity to the dwelling might be included in that policy.

maybe street parking will be more and more common place than the driveway, and the neighbors house.
Yeah, but then you gotta worry about the D%@m squirrels EATING your wiring and fuel lines ( says the guy whose family has been hit for $7k in the last 2 months from the tree rats😡)

Yeah, but then you gotta worry about the D%@m squirrels EATING your wiring and fuel lines ( says the guy whose family has been hit for $7k in the last 2 months from the tree rats😡)
oh, don't i know that shite...

it all goes to the wiring, and how it's made.

back in the days of old, the wire insulation was a mix of rubber, plastic.

but on since the 1980's (or so) automotive wiring is soy based......

the wiring heats up a tiny bit, as electrical current flows thru it.....the aroma is slight and hardly noticeable to humans.

however, when squirrels are around, and forage for either food or warmth, they smell that aroma...

and make a meal of the wiring, which then they attack the modular plugs, and the damned SOB's, always make sure they gnaw at the wiring close to those connectors, to destroy them.

in my garage, if a wire was easy to get to, then a simple repair was done.

otherwise, i told the customer to go to an electrical shop (a lot around back then) or go to a dealer.

labor rates in MY shop were at an astounding $12.00 per hour back then, and the SOB customers complained when i had to charge 2 hours labor, for a full brake job.

imagine if i had to put in 8, 10, 20 hours to find eaten wiring, replace it, replace the connectors, maybe even change out shorted components...

i wanted nothing to do with electrical systems.

BTW, my neighbor's business has been in business for 72 years, and never had a vehicle spontaneously explode before, inside any building or out in the 450 acre scrap-yard. Not that some will care. That don't fit the narrative.

BTW, my neighbor's business has been in business for 72 years, and never had a vehicle spontaneously explode before, inside any building or out in the 450 acre scrap-yard. Not that some will care. That don't fit the narrative.
i would hope that future electric cars, get put outside when not being worked on, or when the place closes for the night..

best to lose 1 or 4 rather than dozens and a building or 2.

a pound of caution.

My 88 Ford F250's alternater caught on fire 110 miles from home in the deer woods one time.. was comin back to camp and smoke stated coming out from under the hood. i stopped and quickly raised the hood and it was flamed up. luckily it had rained that morning and i had a 5 gallon bucket and a water hole next to me but it would not go out. the contacts on the alternator was glowing and start right back up.

I had to quickly un hook the battery to get it to stop flaming back up. by then it had caught the radiator hose and a couple others on fire. finally got it out. a camp member took me to town to buy parts and i fixt it in the woods to get home.

Back