testtest

Federal HST vs. Hydra-Shok

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Federal Ammunition understands no two self-defense situations or needs are identical. For that reason, it offers versions of its self-defense ammunition that bring different assets to the fight, a fact highlighted when comparing two of its best—Federal HST VS Hydra-Shok. Both bullet designs have a track record of performance.

Federal HST vs. Hydra-Shok

1650916995982.png

Talyn thanks for posting this article. It ran a bell with me, so I went to my ammo locker and lo and behold look what I found way in the back. Notice the date on the side of the box. I'm embarrassed that I have had these so long and haven't shot them up, but I usually shoot ball ammo at paper. Notice the difference in yesterday's bullet as compared to current issue. Perhaps the design has changed some since then, but I bet you that the one from the 80's is as deadly as one from today. Seems that I bought several hundred rounds at the time because there was talk that the feds were going to restrict sales to LE. Thanks for allowing me to digress.

Hydra 3.jpg

Hydra 2.jpg

Hydra 1.jpg

They used to be my favorite back in the day. I'll take the HST these days.
I have about 5 boxes of the HST , been collecting them over time. Really like that round and both my 45’s shoot these rounds with no issues. My Emissary is loaded with them.
My XDM 4.5 45ACP is loaded with Sig Sauer 230gr V-Crown JHP

I have about 5 boxes of the HST , been collecting them over time. Really like that round and both my 45’s shoot these rounds with no issues. My Emissary is loaded with them.
My XDM 4.5 45ACP is loaded with Sig Sauer 230gr V-Crown JHP
I had never even heard much or thought about them until about 2 years ago when I got here and Mr. Gruber was talking about them. At some point I bought another .45 ( big effing shock there) and it did not like the Hornady CD I was running in some of the other ones. So I bought a couple boxes of the 230 gr. HSTs and ran them through all my .45s in a totally scientific, rigorous, math filled ballistic test that probably rivals the FBI tests and involves me, a bunch of .45s and some 4x4 treated posts I sunk in the backyard. I'll spare you all the scientific mumbo jumbo. It passed. Now, like Franks, I put that :poop: in everything.

I had never even heard much or thought about them until about 2 years ago when I got here and Mr. Gruber was talking about them. At some point I bought another .45 ( big effing shock there) and it did not like the Hornady CD I was running in some of the other ones. So I bought a couple boxes of the 230 gr. HSTs and ran them through all my .45s in a totally scientific, rigorous, math filled ballistic test that probably rivals the FBI tests and involves me, a bunch of .45s and some 4x4 treated posts I sunk in the backyard. I'll spare you all the scientific mumbo jumbo. It passed. Now, like Franks, I put that :poop: in everything.
There is one thing you need to share…..

Did you shoot the Franks in the bun?

Talyn thanks for posting this article. It ran a bell with me, so I went to my ammo locker and lo and behold look what I found way in the back. Notice the date on the side of the box. I'm embarrassed that I have had these so long and haven't shot them up, but I usually shoot ball ammo at paper. Notice the difference in yesterday's bullet as compared to current issue. Perhaps the design has changed some since then, but I bet you that the one from the 80's is as deadly as one from today. Seems that I bought several hundred rounds at the time because there was talk that the feds were going to restrict sales to LE. Thanks for allowing me to digress.

View attachment 26800
View attachment 26801
View attachment 26802
I still have two full boxes of both 9mm and 45acp....Original Black Talons.

They’re worth a lot, but…they really are nowhere near as reliable in performance as their modern offspring, Ranger-T.

Black Talons often failed miserably against cloth.
Cost me $9.99 ☺️
Black Talon went through 4 generations according to Winchester.
3 yrs ago I bought 100rds of LEO Rangers from Bulkammo .com. they are for all intent Black Talon without the black coating. You hold up the two side by side they are the same with the exception of color and the Ranger T's hollow point is larger. But you can plainly see the triangle points are the same on both.

Back