testtest

Field to Plate - Pulled Bear Sandwiches with Huckleberry BBQ Sauce

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Bear meat is often misunderstood in the culinary world, and several factors contribute to its less-than-stellar reputation. Here are some reasons why bear meat may get a bad rap:
  1. Taste and Texture: Bear meat can have a strong, “gamey flavor” that some people find unappealing because they are expecting beef flavor. The texture can also vary, with some cuts being quite tough and requiring slow, careful cooking.
  2. Diet of the Bear: The taste of bear meat can vary significantly depending on the bear's diet. Bears that consume a lot of fish or certain berries can produce meat with a strong, sometimes unpleasant taste to people who aren’t used to it.
  3. Preparation and Cooking: Properly preparing and cooking bear meat is essential to avoid potential health risks and to improve flavor and texture. Bear meat must be cooked thoroughly to avoid trichinosis, a parasitic infection that can be present in undercooked bear meat.
  4. Cultural Perceptions: In many cultures, bear meat is not a common food source, and there may be cultural or societal taboos against eating it. This lack of familiarity can lead to a negative perception.
  5. Sustainability and Ethics: Hunting bears for meat can raise ethical and environmental concerns, as bear populations are sensitive to overhunting and habitat loss.
    However, bear meat can be a nutritious and valuable food source when harvested responsibly and prepared correctly. It is high in protein and can be a good source of essential nutrients. With proper cooking techniques and a willingness to explore new flavors, bear meat can be enjoyed as part of a diverse diet.

1721184805361.png

with cattle the best or better meat comes at certain weight between bulls, steers and cows with weights between 950 and 1,200 #'s. veal is about 500-600 #s iirc. swine hits slaughter weight at i don't know and chicken at a certain day after hatching. whether it be stock fed or wild i wonder if bear would be better tasting at a lower weight? just ask about those little piggies that are less than 150 #s that will taste better than 500 #ers and up that are wild. probable there are very few things we eat or drink that go good with age! duck is greasy also, but done correctly they are good tasting.

with cattle the best or better meat comes at certain weight between bulls, steers and cows with weights between 950 and 1,200 #'s. veal is about 500-600 #s iirc. swine hits slaughter weight at i don't know and chicken at a certain day after hatching. whether it be stock fed or wild i wonder if bear would be better tasting at a lower weight? just ask about those little piggies that are less than 150 #s that will taste better than 500 #ers and up that are wild. probable there are very few things we eat or drink that go good with age! duck is greasy also, but done correctly they are good tasting.
A former neighbor gave a me a black-bear roast from a 125lb bear he shot some 25 years ago. He told me how to cook in in a slow cooker, which I did. Not for me, although I'm sure ANY meat can be made palatable under the right circumstance. The roast I was given was very fatty. That, combined with my affinity for Smoky, Yogi and Winnie will preclude my hunting of the species and cooking it again.

A former neighbor gave a me a black-bear roast from a 125lb bear he shot some 25 years ago. He told me how to cook in in a slow cooker, which I did. Not for me, although I'm sure ANY meat can be made palatable under the right circumstance. The roast I was given was very fatty. That, combined with my affinity for Smoky, Yogi and Winnie will preclude my hunting of the species and cooking it again.
some animals might just be bad food for the most of us? venison does it for me as a definite NO.

I'd try it once. I don't like venison, but I do like elk. I've had javelina that was barbequed and tasty. I guess some meat is how you prepare it and sometimes, some types just don't agree with our taste buds. The same with fish. How about oysters? I don't do them raw, but like them smoked.

Back