testtest

Grease or Oil?

I have the pleasure of owning several 1903's, 30-40 Krags, and 1917's. Really enjoy and love this era of firearms.

It dawned on me recently while performing an in-depth annual cleaning, that I am unsure if I should be using grease or lube. Since I don't fire them often, most of the time they are stored with just lube (Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil). But I am wondering if grease should be used on the main spring, striker sleeve, and striker while it is assembled inside the bolt.

I am not sure that I have come across any good literature stating defiantly one way or the other.

If it is recommended to use grease, what is recommended?

Thanks!

I use TW25B white grease on slides with metal frames. You can buy it in a syringe which is real handy.
brand names of grease notwithstanding, i buy a bunch of syringes at amazon, then load up one with whatever grease i am using for my guns.........they come in handy, and are cheap...

i even have one with red heavy duty grease, for use on my Dillon and automotive door hinges....

1704713654193.png
 Granddad used it, Dad used it, and I've used it all my life. Some of these guns have seen a hard life and are over 100 years old. They still work just fine. Grandmother used it on her treadle sewing machine that she used every day to make quilts, clothes, and whatever. That thing still works just fine also.

I have surrendered to full synthetic lubricants for pretty much anything. Much as it pains me to say, they are superior to old technology. Mobil 1 convinced me of that some years ago.

Synthetic gun oil with an approximate viscosity of 80w works well on all our firearms. Several brands out there, find one you like and don't look back.

Some greases and oil do not age well (they get "thicker" over time) and should be cleaned off and reapplied before shooting (as they may have lost some of their lubricating capabilities). Recently I have switched over to the Breakthrough Technologies line of cleaning/lubricating products. I like that they are non-toxic. They make a Battle Grease that works very well on both my handguns and rifles (have not cleaned my shotguns recently, but I will put it on them as well).

Back