testtest

Gun Review: Colt Delta Elite Two Tome 10mm

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member

As soon as I detect a patently false urban legend in an article, I tend to dismiss the author of it.

The urban legend, undoubtedly initiated by disillusioned 10MM aficionados, that the FBI dropped the 10MM because "some" of its agents couldn't withstand its recoil, is completely false.

After scientific study at the FBI's Firearms Training Unit at Quantico, it was determined the the .40 caliber round was most efficacious for law enforcement use firing 180 grain bullets at a nominal velocity of 1000 FPS. Since this standard could be achieved by shortening the 10MM case to .40 S&W thereby facilitating its chambering in handguns with larger magazine capacities, it opted for the more efficient and effective Glock 22. If you doubt me, call the Firearms Training Unit and ask an FBI armorer.

There was no law enforcement benefit of the 10MM vis-a-vis the .40 S&W.

I will not disparage another gun manufacturer. I will tell you that after my initial and incredibly positive experience with Springfield Armory, I sold my Colts. I no longer own a Colt firearm. I do own 4 Springfield Armory 1911-A1 handguns including an EMP 3 9MM. The other three are chambered for .45 Auo. While I've never fired my Professional Model because my TRP has been phenomenally fantastic, all of my Springfield Armory firearms have performed flawlessly. All are incredibly accurate.

Springfield Armory has never asked me to review any of my Springfield Armory handguns, and I've never been offered a cent to write about my experiences with Springfield Armory handguns. Every comment I've written about Springfield Armory handguns has been an honest assessment based upon my actual experience. Hence, I would recommend Springfield Armory 1911-A1 handguns without reservation. I have no actual knowledge of other Springfield Armory guns other than what I've been told or I've read, which has been all positive.

Last edited:
It might not be soly because of the recoil issue, but part of it? Regardless I love my 10s! I'm sure that he hasn't found pressure limits also! It was something for the article too be longer.

I had one of the very first Colt 1911 10MM Delta Elites it was a blue finish and the DELTA Logo on the Rubber Grips the frame cracked and I had to send it back for a replacement it was a great difficulty dealing with Colt. But they did after 2 months make good by sending me a new frame and with a new serial number I purchased this pistol in the 80's and like many firearms I've owned swapped it off for a Bren 10mm GunSite Col. Jeff Cooper edition his trademark was on the pistol; the Raven emblem of Jeff ’s famous shooting school Gunsite was prominently emblazoned on the frame of each Bren Ten. That was a good shooting DA / SA pistol. It almost matched my CZ75 9MM Pistol.

Last edited:
I also had one of the original Colt Delta Elites, great gun, I sold it to a local law enforcement officer who carried until he retired. As for the FBI, they used the S&W 1076 in 10mm, not a Colt. And I don’t believe in urban legends, eveything I was told why the FBI was dropping the 10mm was like it was stated, but everyone has there own opinions on matters.

I have one with a rail. The slide is stainless with the receiver frame grey for an opposite two tone look, compare to that of the picture in the article. It was a recent buy, so I'm sure it's one of the recent reintroduced model after the 2008 production run. It's most likely one of the earlier versions the author was describing with the rail. I have no complaints, and I like it.

Back