testtest

Hand warmers for ammo cans?

I've not heard of this before. I just throw in a bunch of desiccants before sealing the can. I've read articles on what some others have tried (sealing with nitrogen gas, etc.), but it always seemed a bit too complex of an undertaken for me to try. This, if true, would be a simple procedure to undertake and one that I might try.

I don't know if it would be one or two per ammo can. But, if it does draw out the oxygen as rumored, it would be super easy and cheap as hand warmers are like fifty cents. I have no firsthand knowledge of this and was just wondering if anybody has. If you do try this, please let me know what you think. I think I'm going to go down and get some hand warmers and test it myself as well.

I bought a bunch from Sam's Club. Below is a link from a forum that I found when doing a search on the Web. I think the consensus there is of a negative opinion. Some say if it worked the government would specified it as a procedure, others say it would introduce heat and moisture which is harmful to ammunition. I would still like to hear opinions of others on this forum, as I'm far from an expert on this (or many :sneaky:) topic(s).

Well I just threw 4 in one of my ammo cans with ammo. I will give it some time and see what happens. I understand that heat can cause moisture if there is enough heat. However, the hand warmers did not feel really hot. Just Luke warm at best. So I feel comfortable that no moisture will accumulate. And the directions said if the hand warmer gets cold to re expose it to air. So on the oxygen is used by the hand warmers, they should go cold immediately in theory. I've Neve tried this, so time will tell.

I've not heard of this before. I just throw in a bunch of desiccants before sealing the can. I've read articles on what some others have tried (sealing with nitrogen gas, etc.), but it always seemed a bit too complex of an undertaken for me to try. This, if true, would be a simple procedure to undertake and one that I might try.
OK, I tried opening the ammo can that had the hand warmers put in it. I placed 4 hand warmers in it earlier today. When I tried opening the ammo can there was no difference an opening the can. Having the hand warmers in there had no relative effect whatsoever. Just FYI perhaps where I heard it from I will educate them on first-hand experience that it does not work.

OK, I tried opening the ammo can that had the hand warmers put in it. I placed 4 hand warmers in it earlier today. When I tried opening the ammo can there was no difference an opening the can. Having the hand warmers in there had no relative effect whatsoever. Just FYI perhaps where I heard it from I will educate them on first-hand experience that it does not work.
Thanks for that update RandomHero. Did the source you heard it from indicate how long you had to leave it in with the can shut before it became vacuumed sealed? I've heard others try to use the food storage vacuum device to seal their ammo, with conflicting results.

Thanks for that update RandomHero. Did the source you heard it from indicate how long you had to leave it in with the can shut before it became vacuumed sealed? I've heard others try to use the food storage vacuum device to seal their ammo, with conflicting results.
BET7,
No they did not indicate how long they needed to be in there. However, when I opened the ammo can there was absolutely no resistance And the hand warmers that are activated by oxygen or completely cold. Based on those basic findings, I am under the impression that the hand warmers are nothing more than a myth. I will question the individual who told me this to see if I can find any different information than what I ended up with.

Back