testtest

Handgun Budget Beaters

It's ugly heavy bulky but the Hi-Point Pistols are the #1 budget beaters. I seen a guy at the range with one it never jammed on him and I asked could I try it. He handed it to me and I shot it and was surprised it was accurate and reliable.

If I want a beater, I don’t buy a new handgun.

The best beaters out there are the surplus LE market; you can get Glocks & M&P’s for under $300 if you look (and are willing to get a .40–9mm carries a $50-100 premium, usually).

I’ve seen surplus HK USP40’s for under $500...I know, I bought a couple.

Revolvers? Keep an eye on AIM or Classic for turn in Model 10’s, 64’s, and 65’s...usually $3-400.

CDNN has Sig P229’s for under $400.

S&W 3rd gens can be found for under $400...I’m kicking myself for not getting one of the 4006 TSW’s for $369 a little while back.

In short—you don’t have to buy a cheap POS just because you want

I've been told that LE turn-ins have a lot of holster wear and cosmetically look a bit rough.
The bore on the other hand is like new as they have few rounds down them.

It can depend, but that’s mostly true.

But, I recently got a Sig P229 .40 that really wasn’t terribly beat up; sights still bright, even.

A friend ordered a 6906 from one of the big wholesalers and got one that looked like it was unfired. No wear anywhere that we could see...

On the other hand, another buddy got a Glock 21 recently that had a lot of slide wear, had obviously been shot a fair bit, and the rear right side of the grip looked like it had been gnawed on...deep scratches from running I to things. Functions fine, though...

Many moons ago, I picked up 2 S&W 4506‘s, police trade ins, one looked new, while the other was kinda rough, but it served its purpose as a tackle box gun when I would go fishing in my local strip pits.

In the last six months, I've picked up two Taurus handguns, the G2C 9mm for $250.00 and the G3 9mm for $269.99. I've never owned a Taurus handgun before, my old man swears his Taurus .357 magnum is the best handgun he's ever owned, so I decided to give Taurus a try. I have not been disappointed with either weapon. I installed Lakeline LLC fiber optic sights on both handguns and it made a difference on both handguns. The sights that come on the G2C and G3 are adequate but as I get older, and my eyesight continues to get worse, I usually need something with a little bit brighter sight picture if I'm going to hit anything more than 5 feet away. Anyway, going to make a very bold statement here....after putting a tad bit over 400 rounds thru my Taurus G3 9mm in the last 2 months give or take, I find it more ergonomic, flatter shooting, and just a completely nicer shooting experience than any 9mm I've shot. It's dead on accurate, I'm more consistently accurate with the Taurus than with my Glock 17 or my Glock 19, my wife's M&P Shield 9mm, or for that matter, any other 9mm I've ever shot. I've broken down the Taurus after each shooting session, did a thorough inspection of the internal parts and I'm not seeing any more wear than any other 9mm I've ever had. The G2C is also a very good handgun, although not quite as comfortable in my big hands. The extended mags I bought for the G2C have mitigated that issue and it's also very accurate, but there's something about the G3 that my hands like when I pick it up. Going to give Taurus some kudos for producing a sub $300 handgun that shoots every bit as well as some other more expensive 9mms I've shot. I've carried it concealed the last few weekends and haven't had any issues keeping it concealed. I wouldn't call it a full size 9mm, it's a bit larger than the G19 but definitely smaller than the G17 as far as size and width. So far, I don't have anything negative to say about the G3. I like having 17+1 rounds of Federal HST JHP in case the SHTF. I know Taurus has had some pretty negative press in the last few years but I've hear they've revamped and are putting out a better product now, so far they have definitely shown that with the G2C and the G3.

Back