testtest

Handgun Reloads.......

For as unlikely as the statistics say that the reload will be in the civilian defensive shooting context, I'm paradoxically just as convinced that it *_MUST_* be well-practiced and embedded into our routines in a second-nature way: so that we can call on these skills "cold and on demand," as Jason Falla insists.

My viewpoint on this is that if we should ever need to call on these skills in real-life, it'll likely be in the most dire of circumstances (per the late Paul Gomez, it's at times like these that we instantly become that "n of 1" statistical outlier). And at that level of stress, routine actions need to be performed at "automaticity," as Pat McNamara likes to say.

And to follow-up with what @Bassbob noted above, I think that shooters who are more experienced (and can safely do so) should also try to (at least dry-) practice reloading in unconventional/disadvantaged positions (including single-handed), as well as in low-light, so that this type of experience can also at the very least be cataloged in one's mind.

Especially important if you experince a misfire/FTF/FTE.

In order to practice that put some dummy rounds in your mag and practice rack, tap and clear until it becomes automatic.

In order to practice that put some dummy rounds in your mag and practice rack, tap and clear until it becomes automatic.

Range-expedient:

You can pick up spent cases and stack them in your mags just as you would a normal cartridge. These will cause all kinds of fun, particularly if you put more than one of them next to each other in the sequence.

Just be sure you pick spent cases of the appropriate caliber......

And you should also be prepared to either have to mortar the gun (if you don't know how to do this with your pistol, you need to learn the appropriate technique) or potentially (rare) even have to punch out the stuck case with a dowel (for pistols of 9mm and up, chopsticks work really, really well).

Back