testtest

Hearing Protection Gear

Jekylmeister

Operator
I traditionally wore the headphone type hearing protection while shooting. I stumbled, like everyone else did, onto Hickok45 on youtube. He uses what they call hearing bands, so I felt compelled to try them and have been using them at the range satisfactorily.

hearingbands.jpg

I think they do as good a job as the 'headphones' I had been using and they're useful enough (light, not giant) that I use them while operating lawn equipment, too.

I think they're 'supposed' to knock down about 25db.

Be curious to hear if anyone else is using these and what they think. [I'm sure there's scientific data available somewhere on this, but......hey.....]

I've been using the bands while mowing my lawn for decades...work fine. On the range I double up with electronic buds and standard muffs. Buds just don't cut it when you've got a .338LM on your left and a 458 Socom on your right, both with brakes.

Hickok45 started his videos wearing electronic muffs circa 2012, but switched to the band soon-after. I would guess because of the appearance on video...less obtrusive, while still working well enough.

You guys sure love Hickok 45 don’t ya. 😊

I got nothing against the guy. His videos are ok. I disagree with a large number of his conclusions with regards to firearms reviews. I certainly wouldn’t buy or avoid something based on his videos. He’s an old man. He thinks an 870 is a better defensive weapon than a TS-12 or a Beretta auto loader.

I run a set of the Walkers I bought for $50 refurbished by Walkers. They work excellent and replaced a cheap set of Caldwell active muffs.

They accepted an offer of $50

Last edited:
I wear full size walkers.
I was told long ago, that its not just the noise but the concussion of the blast that attributes to hearing loss.
Never did really do a massive research project on that, but makes sense to me.
Tell me about it. I expect that the hearing protection of the future will be some type of helmet that will deflect the concussion of the blast. Being hard of hearing is one thing; living with that constant ringing sound in your hear 24/7 is another thing all together.

Indoor;
Cheap foam or silicone plugs with Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs over those if I’m shooting a rifle with a brake. Recently I’ve been using just Axil GS Extreme electronic plugs and if it gets too noisy I’ll throw the muffs over those as well but I’ll occasionally get a little screeching feedback from that combination when they’re both on.

Outdoor;
Axil plugs work great until I pull out one of the evil black rifles with brakes on them then I put the muffs on too.

You guys sure love Hickok 45 don’t ya. 😊

I got nothing against the guy. His videos are ok. I disagree with a large number of his conclusions with regards to firearms reviews. I certainly wouldn’t buy or avoid something based on his videos. He’s an old man. He thinks an 870 is a better defensive weapon than a TS-12 or a Beretta auto loader.
I wouldn't say I love the guy, but his content is pretty unique. Firing percussion pistols, 1700's era muzzle-loaders, lever guns, bolt guns, semi-auto's, modern stuff, shotguns...no one shows shooting all this stuff like he does. I think it's cool to see a guy operating a trap-door and field-stripping it, re-assembling and firing (or any other of 3000 uploads). I'm not watching to see him...I just love watching the guns he shoots. And I couldn't care less about his choice in ear-pro;)

I wouldn't say I love the guy, but his content is pretty unique. Firing percussion pistols, 1700's era muzzle-loaders, lever guns, bolt guns, semi-auto's, modern stuff, shotguns...no one shows shooting all this stuff like he does. I think it's cool to see a guy operating a trap-door and field-stripping it, re-assembling and firing (or any other of 3000 uploads). I'm not watching to see him...I just love watching the guns he shoots. And I couldn't care less about his choice in ear-pro;)
I like his videos. I just take all his reviews and more accurately, his choice in head to head comparisons, with a grain of salt.

IMO, he's more of an entertainer than an authority on firearms.

But he has a really nice home range to shoot at.
You got that right. His range was the inspiration for my growing collection of things, mostly steel, to shoot at.

I had to weld up all kinds of portable BS to take all my steel and crap to the range. I would love to be able to permanently hang all that stuff out like him.

Back