testtest

Hellcat SMSc Zero Distance

Is there a correct answer here? Google brings up many opinions on the matter. Just got my new hellcat fitted with a Shield SMSc optic and I’m unsure what distance I should be zeroing. Please and thank you!
I would start between 25 and 50 yards, although it all depends on what distance you will be shooting on a regular basis. What matters more is the round you use to set zero and the one your going to use in the gun for reg duty.

(y)What Keystones says about zeroing the round you'll use for your EDC for sure!
There may not be a definitive correct answer. I have my Hellcat w/Romeo Zero zeroed at 30 feet. (15 yards).
It's a self defense gun with a 3" barrel. If you need to use it, 30 feet is a good engagement distance. When I shoot my self defense load(s) to 60 feet, I'm low but still on the 8.5" x 11" paper which is still center mass. If you are shooting 50 yards for self defense with a sub compact EDC, chances are you are opening yourself up to collateral damage and lawsuits if not an immediate arrest. At the range, I shoot mostly at 30 feet or closer. I'll shoot my Hellcat out to 25 yards at the range and just put the dot higher on the target but they do start to spread out quite a bit! :rolleyes:

Personally my preference is about 27-30 ft or 10 yds. When I sighted my SMSc red dot in on my Hellcat all I had available was a 27' range, so I sighted the red dot to sit directly on top of the Hellcat front sight. It'll hit consistently withing the coverage of the red dot at 10 yds.

I really don't think I'd be engaging in a self defense shoot at any further distance, although maybe in some strange turn of events might find myself in a gun fight at something a little further. If that ever were the case, I'd do my best to allow for a little Kentucky elevation. Anything out to around 50-60 yds would/could still fall within the kill zone.

I usually select 5 yds to 15 yds, it depends on the longest straight line distance in your home. It also depends on the laws in your state. You might need a longer distance if you were acting in defense of another but some states don't allow that as a valid use of self defense. It's pretty difficult for someone to show you did not act in self defense if you shoot someone breaking into your house. However someone running down the street 25 yards away and you have a hard time showing you acted in self defense.
I want head shot accuracy inside my house because you can't be guaranteed a center of mass size target. Also, you want to have some idea where that bullet may go if you miss. Unlike the movies, drywall does not stop bullets, nor do doors. Unless you have steel doors in your house. :)

Is there a correct answer here? Google brings up many opinions on the matter. Just got my new hellcat fitted with a Shield SMSc optic and I’m unsure what distance I should be zeroing. Please and thank you!
Just curious what you ended up with on this. A little late maybe, but something to consider is that the new gun came sighted in at the factory. You should have received a target with the gun showing the results. Mine was shot at 10 meters (why meters when this is the US and we typically use yds..... LOL!) At any rate that's close enough to put you on at 10 yds, so just let the red dot touch the top of the front iron sight. Imagine the red dot being your target as if using the iron sights with a 6:eek:clock hold. In other words, the top of the front iron sight is touching the very bottom of the red dot.

That's maybe a little better explanation than I offered a few days ago. Hope you got it all taken care of and shooting straight. On the other hand if it came with the SMSc already mounted, it likely was already 'zeroed'. Was there no talk relative to the red dot with the gun?

I am not going to lie. I’m a new pistol owner. Just got a hellcat and I installed a Shield smsc. The dial has no real instructions, I have no clue what I’m doing to zero it in. And it seems like it’s not staying sited. Did I break it dialing it? Is it that easy to break it???

I usually select 5 yds to 15 yds, it depends on the longest straight line distance in your home. It also depends on the laws in your state. You might need a longer distance if you were acting in defense of another but some states don't allow that as a valid use of self defense. It's pretty difficult for someone to show you did not act in self defense if you shoot someone breaking into your house. However someone running down the street 25 yards away and you have a hard time showing you acted in self defense.
I want head shot accuracy inside my house because you can't be guaranteed a center of mass size target. Also, you want to have some idea where that bullet may go if you miss. Unlike the movies, drywall does not stop bullets, nor do doors. Unless you have steel doors in your house. :)

Name one state that has a law that says “if someone is shooting at you from x distance away, it is too far to shoot back in self defense”…

If someone is shooting at me from 100 yards, I’m returning fire if at all possible…

And to answer the OP’s question: I’m going to be zeroing a FF3 on my Prodigy at 25 yards, since that’s what the iron sights are zeroed to (as are the sights on most pistols).
Sometimes I think that is a little secret most shooters just don't get. Especially when they are dealing with short barreled revolvers and pistols. The "common knowledge" that they are only belly guns is often believed snd passed on.

I am not going to lie. I’m a new pistol owner. Just got a hellcat and I installed a Shield smsc. The dial has no real instructions, I have no clue what I’m doing to zero it in. And it seems like it’s not staying sited. Did I break it dialing it? Is it that easy to break it???
I would suggest ask assistance at the range . Their should be knowledgeable staff to help assist and explain your sight to you

At the range, I typically sight in my red dot at about 15 yard. This is just a guess as the range distance is not marked. To practice I typically set the target at max distance which is about 25 yards. However I do a number of drills not using the sights at about 7 yards. Having spent too much time in hostile environments I recognize that up close I will never have the time to “aim” as it comes down to having a feel where that bullet is going to go and that is only learned by practice.

I also think most shooters don’t realize how little difference there is in the poi in distances of 5-25 yards…
I had people completely disbelieving when I took my last firearm deer with my model 60 at 20 yards with one well placed bullet. A deer with a Jrame, that's irresponsible...

Really? Why it's a .357 magnum it had an appropriate load. I was building a blind and the rifle was out of reach when the deer came in. I have seen a lot of deer when making noise in the woods, they get curious.

I zero all my subcompact self defense guns at 10 yards, like the others said self defense shootings are typically close distances and if you shoot out to 25 yards you will still be in the zone for self defense hits just a little low.

I zero all my subcompact self defense guns at 10 yards, like the others said self defense shootings are typically close distances and if you shoot out to 25 yards you will still be in the zone for self defense hits just a little low.
If you zero at 25 the difference in POI at 10 is like an inch. What if you need to go out to 50 for some reason ?

The thing to remember with red dots is when you adjust them you are adjusting the point of impact. So if you are shooting to the left you are going to want to move the windage knob to the right. If you are shooting low you are going to want to move the elevation knob up. Clockwise on the elevation knob will move the point of impact up. Clockwise on the windage knob will move the point of impact right.

I could figure out MOA per click, but that just seems like a lot of unnecessary math to me. If you are hitting lower than you are aiming turn the elevation knob clockwise a few clicks and shoot 3, still low, a couple more clicks, etc..

I sighted the optic on my Hellcat pro at the 10-12 yard range using my steel silhouette (18 x24). I stood and shoot 3 shot groups at center then head and adjusted as needed. When all 6 make me go hell yeah I call it good. I prefer the full circle without the dot on my Holosun. After doing this I can set the circle below the head/collarbone point and hit steel at 20-25 without issue.

Back