testtest

How fast a bear runs and climbs trees

1626458868019.gif

That's why, when in bear country, the firearm should be in hand and not holstered or slung.
It is the same as when following up on other dangerous game. One needs to be ready...really ready.
The other thing to remember is: Aim low.
They will be coming much faster than the average fellow can imagine and they will be crouching in their charge.
This is also why before going into dangerous territory it is advisable to practice on a dangerous game range with moving targets, tutored by someone who knows what they are doing.

As an aside, while the double rifle is deemed too expensive and an anachronism of the firearms industry, there is no platform...none...that can deliver a second fast shot like the double rifle.

I would add that the double rifle's technology has been well proven and can handle some seriously powerful cartridges specifically designed for stopping charges.

The venerable 44 Magnum is considered "minimally useful" when using the 240 grain loading on black bears.
The 300 grain solid loading is considered "minimally useful" on the Brown or Griz.
An angry, charging bruin of any description is a thing to be justly respected.
Woe be unto ye who are facing a threatened mother with cubs.

Last edited:
Seen that first hand when I was bear hunting in a tree stand. Hit the bear with an arrow and he decided the tree I was in was the way out of danger. He came up faster than I could move, ended up falling about 6 inches from my stand. I did not even have time to get a second arrow out or my knife.

Handgun had gotten covered by my vest inadvertently and was a hard no go. Which was partly why the arrow and knife were not gotten to.

Learned a lot that day. Biggest thing is they are so unbelievably fast, most people would find it hard to believe.

Last edited:
Seen that first hand when I was bear hunting in a tree stand. Hit the bear with an arrow and he decided the tree I was in was the way out of danger. He came up faster than I could move, ended up falling about 6 inches from my stand. I did not even have time to get a second arrow out or my knife.

Handgun had gotten covered by my vest inadvertently and was a hard no go. Which was partly why the arrow and knife were not gotten to.

Learned a lot that day. Biggest thing is they are so unbelievably fast, most people would find it hard to believe.
So, you learned to rifle hunt bears. From far away.
Kidding .. just kidding 😜

Here's a couple simple rules to understand when in bear country ..................
1st - in any bear country, but especially brown bear/grizzly country always carry a noise maker IE: a whistle or small bell to alert the bears of your presents so as to not come up on them in surprise .................

2nd - Know how to tell the difference in what kinds of bears are likely in the area by the presents of bear scat ........... black bear scat will generally be a combination of grasses and berries. Griz scat will often contain bits of fur of smaller mammals and occasionally small whistles or bells. :D

And if/when all else fails and you and a friend have to make a run for it from either type of bear, don't be concerned whether or not you can outrun the bear, just be sure you can outrun your friend!!! ;):D(y)

Back