testtest

How to Take Care of Your 1911 Pistol

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Maintaining your 1911 is virtually painless and ensures that your firearm is functioning in top shape at all times. A simple field-strip or complete disassembly can be performed relatively quickly (and with minimal tools). For most 1911 maintenance, a simple field strip will do—you won’t need to completely disassemble your 1911.

1721074741615.png

what i should have also said was, every manual i have read, or tear down video i have seen, from some very good smiths, or armorers, have said is to not allow chemicals to get into the slide, unless that is fully stripped.

and here is this yutz, from RIA in fact, not following that advice.

sure, he had a blow gun, but that will not get all the liquid out of the firing pin chamber or the extractor chamber as well.

hopefully, many of you know this, since you said...."NO", as well.

For the record, i do not recommend this method either…but…

Bought my first 1911 in .45 circa 2018. Low $300s, NIB, RIA, GI standard. Later discovered their Armscor vids including this one.
So i tried it. It worked fine. (I did take my grips off, and remove firing pin). The mineral spirits evaporated pretty quick and i used a fan and turned parts occasionally, for about 10 min, just to be sure.
But honestly, IMHO it was almost more trouble than it was worth.
I’d’ never do it to anything more expensive.

It seems to me that, with regular maintenance realized, that type of treatment is unnecessary. I doubt I'd dunk a Saturday night special in mineral spirits.

If you have to get cosmoline off of a stored firearm then mineral spirits is the way to go. I see no reason to do that to a firearm under normal cleaning maintenance though.

If you have to get cosmoline off of a stored firearm then mineral spirits is the way to go. I see no reason to do that to a firearm under normal cleaning maintenance though.
i'll tell you, when i got my first Rock Island, i was like...WTF.....is all this shite, dripping off the GOD #$%#%@%$$ POS gun i just bought....!!!!!!!!

it must have been that cosmo shite....

i was told that since the guns are built in the Philly-peens, and the extreme high humidity, and the time they sit before shipping, they load it up with that cosmo shite....

never in my short life of gun ownership have i ever been crazed with spraying the crap outta it, and using like a gazillion rolls of blue work paper towels, you know the expensive stuff in the automotive section at wally's world emporium.>??

funny, 2 more that i had bought later..??

spray-spray, wipe off, go shoot.....

dumbass philly-peenies.

noppppppie
mine get broke down to parade rest after a long range day
if i run less than 50 rounds i use a bore snake and wipe off any gunk i can see, which leads to me breaking down the pistol and cleaning it thoroughly
no excuses.
take the time to learn your pistol and be familiar with its inerds and how things work better clean and lightly lubed :ROFLMAO:

Back