testtest

I Advised Him

SATRP

Master Class
Founding Member
To go with a proven winner.

A close friend is in the market for a new handgun. He called me yesterday to ask my opinion on a target handgun. He owns a 9MM & .40 S&W. One's a Glock and the other is a Ruger. Both are CCW handguns. I advised him that if he wanted an excellent target handgun that is also an excellent self-defense handgun he should go with the best: Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto.

I doubt that a tricked out target handgun is more accurate than my TRP.

He did a lot of reading and youtube watching. He wants an SA TRP. Every vendor he could find was out of stock. Seems as though a whole lotta shooters have figured out that the SA TRP is a phenomenal handgun. The best he could manage was getting on a waiting list.

Anecdote: I've very recently returned from a Rocky Mountain fishing trip, I was deep into the Rockies. The area we fished has a dense population of black bears. My SA TRP was our only bear protection. I was completely confident in my choice of handguns. It was loaded with 230 grain Fed HST LE +P ammo.

I'd take my SA TRP into griz country, but I'd change ammo to 255 grain cast.

I own a Professional Model I've yet to fire it. My SA TRP has been exceptionally perfect. I'll admit that I've never fired +P rounds through it. However, every standard load has functioned flawlessly. On to the target requirement. I told my friend that he could spend a whole lotta $$$ on a tricked out target handgun with the POSSIBILITY of better accuracy. But he's like me: neither of us are precision target shooters. My TRP is more accurate than am I.

A final note: I told my friend that once he gets his hands on an SA TRP, it'll become his primary handgun. He'll stow his Glock and Ruger in his gun safe for eternal naps and add his SA TRP to his list of CCW guns.

And a BTW: I like the 10MM. I don't own one. But I like the cartridge. However, for me, and I know that we all have different cartridge criteria, the .45 Auto is the pot of gold at a rainbow's end. It's a low pressure cartridge. It possesses inherent accuracy. If one were so inclined, it can be loaded with extremely powerful rounds. I see it as +P .45 Auto rounds being more that sufficient for even meanest critters. My the 17 year-old daughter burned up 150 factory hard ball and wanted more. After burning up 60 bucks and disappointed that I bought only 3 boxes, she confidently told me that a familial transfer occurred: my SA TRP was her SA TRP.

For those who know me, well here it comes! I can't reply about a 1911 style gun as it's a no no for me as in grip angle and my wrist don't work well together. I don't own any Rugers either. I do have GLOCK and SA pistols( non 1911) and my glocks haven't failed me in the accuracy department! The best of shooting to you and your friend(s)!

I have both TRP's in, 45 and 10mm w/6" bbl. I consider them fine works of art that shoot extremely well. I have other full-size 1911's (mixture of 45's and 10mm's), that I also like very much, however I wouldn't use any for my EDC unless hiking in the woods (then I'd carry the TRP in 10mm, or one of my other 10mm pistols). I like to carry IWB, and the full-size 1911's are just too heavy and "print" more than a sub-compact that I normally carry, (which right now is my S&W PC Shield in 45 ACP). It's just my opinion, I'm sure there's a lot of people that like to carry a 1911 as their EDC, it just doesn't work for me.

Back