testtest

I hate small springs....

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Wanted to install an extended mag release on my P-10C. A small spring was involved in a very, very tight spot in the frame.

I mangled the original with the install, so I ordered 3 spares. Mangled one of those, another was lost in space, and with my last one I finally managed to get it installed with the new extended release after multiple attempts and it flying but recovered.

The mag release works great now, but I should order some more spare springs.

That's a point to make in long-term upkeep on firearms is spare parts and springs.

My .02

Tackleboxes work well to organize items like that. I don't know how many I have in the workshop - audio equipment/adaptors; motorcycle carburetor jets; motorcycle small parts; automotive small parts; random electrical connector parts; drill and driver bits...

Another thing my workbench will never be without, is dental picks. AWESOME for working with small stuff - including springs ;) I got a set at a local hobby store years ago, and I'll never do without them again. You'll be amazed how often you use them. Get a whole set - straight, 45 degree angle, curved, 90 degree. They ROCK.

Wanted to install an extended mag release on my P-10C. A small spring was involved in a very, very tight spot in the frame.

I mangled the original with the install, so I ordered 3 spares. Mangled one of those, another was lost in space, and with my last one I finally managed to get it installed with the new extended release after multiple attempts and it flying but recovered.

The mag release works great now, but I should order some more spare springs.

That's a point to make in long-term upkeep on firearms is spare parts and springs.

My .02
I feel drum brakes are the same way ...😫

To install the extended mag release it involved putting tension on the spring & a do-hiky part, and well as moving a pin to finally hold those together and keeping the extended mag release from moving from a neutral position so the do-hiky that has three angles, could fit one of the angles into the spot on the mag release.

I have the Armorer manual for the pistol but I didn't have an extra hand or two to keep at least two parts in alignment.

Finally got it.

Great pistol. The rest of it is easy to work on except for that ^%$#( little mag release spring.

Anybody have a trick for getting the safety detent and spring back in a 911? I realize it’s a straight forward and exterior piece but I’m a repair noob and lost 3 (and almost an eye) trying to get the thing in there.
See Peglegjoe’s reply:
Dental picks
You can also buy “picks” from home depot or lowes in the tool section. Usually a pack of 6 or 8 that vary from Straight to 90 degrees.

Anybody have a trick for getting the safety detent and spring back in a 911? I realize it’s a straight forward and exterior piece but I’m a repair noob and lost 3 (and almost an eye) trying to get the thing in there.
If you need help, put the whole frame in a clear bag. That way when the spring, springs away it will be captured in the bag. I always just use my finger to push it in then turn the safety to capture it.

Back