testtest

Iron Sights

Want to change out my iron sights
To Trijicon Tritium XR, on my SPRINGFIELD XD 9mm. Any advice on changing them out and or other sights I should try?

Many options on what 1's to put on. Tritium, night dots, fiber optic and...........? Depends on what you want/need the sights for and/or price is no concern? Adjustable or non? As far as removing the sights without marring or possible damage a sight pusher is the best option, but many have been done using a punch.

tools needed
hammer (preferably poly tipped)
brass punch (could use steel and tape the end)
soft jawed vise (or cardboard, rubber, poly? for protection)
painters tape, masking tape or similar adhesive tape for taping the slide area in case of a miss hit

You can do this with slide attached or removed from frame.

As far as what I've used on handguns are fiber optic and standard white from factory (glock, sig, s&w, desert eagle, walther and springfield). Tritium is a 1 way show (you can only see, not the muzzle end side). Fiber optic can be seen from both sides (most of the time). Night sights are similar to fiber and need light to recharge, but only you can see.

I first encountered Trijicon HD night sights at the SIG academy about 10 years ago. I was so impressed with them that I installed them on all my SIGs and Colt 1911's. The quality is superb. I really like the big orange dot front sight.

Installing sights can be tricky. I am a factory trained armorer for SIG, Glock, and SA1911's and have a number of sight tools and it is not a job I would recommend for a first time do it your selfer. It might go OK, or you might end up in a train wreck. You can contact Trijicon customer service and arrenge to send them your slide, and they will install the sights on your slide for the cost of the sights.

Last edited:
Many options on what 1's to put on. Tritium, night dots, fiber optic and...........? Depends on what you want/need the sights for and/or price is no concern? Adjustable or non? As far as removing the sights without marring or possible damage a sight pusher is the best option, but many have been done using a punch.

tools needed
hammer (preferably poly tipped)
brass punch (could use steel and tape the end)
soft jawed vise (or cardboard, rubber, poly? for protection)
painters tape, masking tape or similar adhesive tape for taping the slide area in case of a miss hit

You can do this with slide attached or removed from frame.

As far as what I've used on handguns are fiber optic and standard white from factory (glock, sig, s&w, desert eagle, walther and springfield). Tritium is a 1 way show (you can only see, not the muzzle end side). Fiber optic can be seen from both sides (most of the time). Night sights are similar to fiber and need light to recharge, but only you can see.
Thanks for the info

If you are a 1st timer, but have good mechanical skills you can do this yourself. If in doubt send it off (or someone close) to have it done (especially if they install for free). I'm not an armorer certified or not, I'm good when it comes to mechanical inclination. Don't count sharpening knives, I'm terrible at that! Unless you want a toothpick!

I have a set of Amerigun night sights just installed on my Makarov, old age making those tiny Mak sights hard to see. They are nice, I sm liking them. The base of the sight is opened up a bit more similar to a triangle allowing more light in. I was a bit dubious about the effect until I tried them.

If you are a 1st timer, but have good mechanical skills you can do this yourself. If in doubt send it off (or someone close) to have it done (especially if they install for free). I'm not an armorer certified or not, I'm good when it comes to mechanical inclination. Don't count sharpening knives, I'm terrible at that! Unless you want a toothpick!

Try the Lanskey sharpening system. It has a clamp guide and various Grit stones, I gave my dad the diamond stones. It really is pretty fool proof, he was terrible too. After I gave him that he did his own happily, no more running thrm to my house.

I even used one to convert a scandi dstyle grind on a Brit MOD knife to a full flat grind.

I first encountered Trijicon HD night sights at the SIG academy about 10 years ago. I was so impressed with them that I installed them on all my SIGs and Colt 1911's. The quality is superb. I really like the big orange dot front sight.

Installing sights can be tricky. I am a factory trained armorer for SIG, Glock, and SA1911's and have a number of sight tools and it is not a job I would recommend for a first time do it your selfer. It might go OK, or you might end up in a train wreck. You can contact Trijicon customer service and arrenge to send them your slide, and they will install the sights on your slide for the cost of the sights.
So, the way I remove the sights on an XD, and XDm is with a steel punch. I modified the steel punch to be the same size and diameter as the rear sight dovetail. I place the slide in the vice and use a 16oz. hammer to push them out.

You can certainly remove the sights with a punch easily enough. Installing the new sights is where the problem can occur. The metal base of the sight is softer than the slide by design. Some of these sights require fitting. Some sights/dovetails have a taper so they are installed from only one direction. They should fit tight so they will not move, especially the front. Sights that go in easy probably will not stay put. Some are so tight they need to be hand fitted. When installing a set of Trijicon night sights that cost up to $170 beating on them with a hammer and punch to drive them into the dovetail might work, then it might not. I have repaired a couple front sights that went that way. If you have the tools and knowhow, do what you are confident in doing. My advice here is only precautionary.

You can certainly remove the sights with a punch easily enough. Installing the new sights is where the problem can occur. The metal base of the sight is softer than the slide by design. Some of these sights require fitting. Some sights/dovetails have a taper so they are installed from only one direction. They should fit tight so they will not move, especially the front. Sights that go in easy probably will not stay put. Some are so tight they need to be hand fitted. When installing a set of Trijicon night sights that cost up to $170 beating on them with a hammer and punch to drive them into the dovetail might work, then it might not. I have repaired a couple front sights that went that way. If you have the tools and knowhow, do what you are confident in doing. My advice here is only precautionary.
I agree, pushing them on is different. I use a sight pusher to push them on. And with some sights, I have used a small file to adjust the fitting.

You might want to check these out:

Night Fision Sight System for Springfield

They sell tritium night sights, good quality, nice options and IMHO reasonably priced.
I just installed Trijicon tritium suppressor height sights on my SA XDm elite 10mm compact.
My gunsmith did not have any issues to install.

I was thinking about Night Fusion sights but I know nothing about them or anyone else who knows anything else about them. They look nice and should fit but I do not know anything about the quality of their tritium sights?
Trijicon Sights 01s.jpg

I just installed Trijicon tritium suppressor height sights on my SA XDm elite 10mm compact.
My gunsmith did not have any issues to install.

I was thinking about Night Fusion sights but I know nothing about them or anyone else who knows anything else about them. They look nice and should fit but I do not know anything about the quality of their tritium sights?View attachment 38609
Let you in on a secret:

There’s only a couple of manufacturers of tritium lamps…pretty much all night sights are using one or the other.

Let you in on a secret:

There’s only a couple of manufacturers of tritium lamps…pretty much all night sights are using one or the other.
Thanks

Question: I know the Trijicon sights are made of steel.
Do you know what material the Night Fusion sights are made of?

Back