testtest

Issue on heavy marks on cases from 1911 Operator

Squid

Alpha
I have a new (less than 100 rounds fired) 1911 Operator 45acp and have noticed heavy marks on the rim of the cases and believe it to be the extractor. The weapon is great and highly accurate with no issues in feed of firing.
The damage is minor so the real question is will this improve(lessen) as she gets brke in of do I need to address something?

OK thanks guys, I though the same thing. Been a couple years since I had a real cherry and when I noticed the burs in the rim. I was thinking extractor spring or it was dry, so I lubricated the thing and worked it by hand. Just wanted to know if it was common.
SL66 - I am going to run plenty down the pipe today. Got 600 45ACP rounds reloaded last night and I got the Prodigy Comp 9mm yesterday with a crate of 9mm rounds, so there is gonna be fun, fun, fun, in the back yard today.
Thanks Again to you guys...Old Farts like me get tired of BS at other sites yall seem to be straight out thanks.

Squid : looks like you joined a while back but welcome anyway :)

Got a suggestion: since some ammo manufacturers load their ammo a bit “hotter” than others (Sig comes to mind?), fire a few rounds of one brand and check the ejected cases. Then a few from another brand, etc.
If all brands do it, it’s probably no worry as long as everything else is well & good..
But if only certain brand ammo has a mark, then the diff in the powder might be causing a tiny fraction of change in the cycling time - or something.
(I’m no expert but having had a 1911 go full auto on me recently I can attest that one thing def leads to another! Took me a good while to figure out that full-A, and it was NOT what I thought of right away).

You could try tuning your extractor a bit (I think that’s what you meant by “extractor spring”? Springfield 1911’s don’t have an extractor spring, per se…). It’s pretty easy to do, either by building a jig (Google it; lots of easy options out there) or by just using the extractor tunnel and bending it slightly.

Bit really, it doesn’t sound like a very big issue. I’d just let’r ride.

You could try tuning your extractor a bit (I think that’s what you meant by “extractor spring”? Springfield 1911’s don’t have an extractor spring, per se…). It’s pretty easy to do, either by building a jig (Google it; lots of easy options out there) or by just using the extractor tunnel and bending it slightly.

Bit really, it doesn’t sound like a very big issue. I’d just let’r ride.
Bit?………🤔🤔

Also, different brands of ammo, the rim thickness is somewhat different between them, many years ago I had a Springfield loaded compact 1911, it would not feed Blazer brass case, but fed Winchester, Federal no problem, I milked the rim thickness and the Blazer was thicker then the others and the cases wouldn’t slip under the extractor, there was my feeding issues, but it’s normal to see marks on empty cases, you also may notice some dings on the case mouths after ejecting, this also is no big deal

Last edited:
the rim thickness is somewhat different between them,
Uh, nope. i ain't sayin it, nope...

giphy-downsized.gif

254019_11512906.gif

source.gif

OK Guys, my issue has left the building. The new girl just needed to be fed plenty of ammo. She is firing great and after 70-80 rounds I noted nearly no more burrs and after 100 rounds not even a scratch anywhere on the case. I kinda thought she just needed a few rounds to get warmed up, so it was a concern after only 20- 30 rounds she was marking the cases. Not sure if she settled down over jealousy of the Prodigy Comp I had also. Just told her she was my 45 gal, and the Prodigy was only 9mm. Sure, made for a fun time in the yard yesterday cause you got to love the smell of gun powder in the air.
Thanks for all the comments and help I did check every one of them.

OK Guys, my issue has left the building. The new girl just needed to be fed plenty of ammo. She is firing great and after 70-80 rounds I noted nearly no more burrs and after 100 rounds not even a scratch anywhere on the case. I kinda thought she just needed a few rounds to get warmed up, so it was a concern after only 20- 30 rounds she was marking the cases. Not sure if she settled down over jealousy of the Prodigy Comp I had also. Just told her she was my 45 gal, and the Prodigy was only 9mm. Sure, made for a fun time in the yard yesterday cause you got to love the smell of gun powder in the air.
Thanks for all the comments and help I did check every one of them.
Sounds like your extractor just needed to wear in a bit; might’ve been a burr on it.

Back