testtest

It’s Time to Revisit Your Home Defense Plan

I have re-thought my home defense plan, as this virus is getting worse and you don’t know how bad it could get, or how desperate some may get in the future, you just don’t know anymore, but it’s safer to prepared then not to be prepared.

I strongly suspect that the problems aren’t going to be in the immediate—3-6 month—future.

It’s afterwards, if there’s no solid economic recovery with masses of unemployed...that’s going to get interesting if it comes.

I have re-thought my home defense plan, as this virus is getting worse and you don’t know how bad it could get, or how desperate some may get in the future, you just don’t know anymore, but it’s safer to prepared then not to be prepared.

I haven't really "Re-thought" mine persay, but I have made a few changes. Made a few things a little more accessible, took a couple extra items out of the safe and focused more attention on the perimeter.

We've had security cameras for a couple of yrs now, and during a renovation to the exterior last summer, I had the contractors replace the old-school porch and driveway lights with motion detector, dusk-to-dawn lights. If anyone is thinking of security cams, my recommendation is to get the ones with night vision capability. Makes a world of difference, because if your lights fail, the night vision feature still "sees".

Last edited:
You don’t know a few of my neighbors......lol
A few of mine were just on Dateline tonight. One of my best friend’s wife’s cousin went down to Florida with his little idiot sidekick and killed his friend’s wife for him. It happened years ago but it just goes to show how meth rots your brain. Dude had an electrical engineering degree from Rolla, which is one of the best engineering schools in the country and winds up living in a trailer park hooked on meth. Then let’s his friend talk him into killing his wife ( that conversation happened on his wedding day where the friend was his best man) for money. Then makes pretty much every stupid mistake you could make while committing a murder.
Anyway, they’re out there so that’s why we have plans for protecting ourselves and our families.

I’ve been working on this for the last month. Luckily I live on the second floor of a 3 floor apartment complex, the 1st floor is an invitation to invasion. I have mapped out my defensive positions and have mags for my home defense weapons in those strategic areas. The only issue is I can’t see my truck from my apartment but installed a full blown Viper Alarm system on it a couple years ago and park under a street light. I’m working or at least thinking about video capabilities on the apartment door but currently being out of work I need to watch cash flow.

I’m going to toss this out, and it’s not directed at anyone specifically...more of a general observation.

I think that we, as “students of the gun”, tend to focus on our armed response to a potential threat more than preventing it from getting to that point. I know I’m guilty of that myself—I have a couple of quick access pistols stashed around the house, as well as long guns.

But, as a friend once pointed out...if it gets to that point, you’ve already had major failures in your security plan. It's better to keep any potential threat outside your home—or, even better, make your home an obvious hard target, one that will get passed up for an easier target.

Well lit exteriors are a great start (I know that people who rent their homes may not have some of these options...but you may be able to find workarounds if you look). Harden your doors—reinforced frames/lockplates work incredibly well against the casual “mule kick” forced entry. Get shatter resistant film for ground level windows (and if you can, plant some type of pretty, but nasty, thorny vegetation below them...curb appeal AND defense in one package!) and glass patio doors.

Get an alarm system. Even for renters, something like SimpliSafe is affordable, portable when you move, and expandable if you buy a home later. We use it for our cabin...no complaints at all. Most importantly—advertise the alarm.

If you’re a dog person, and your lifestyle allows you to be able to have one...they’re a great alarm. As to them being an...”active” defensive measure, that’s a possibility as well.

Cameras have been brought up, and are good options. Both obvious and not so obvious make a good combination so “dead spots” in coverage aren’t exploited.

I'm firmly in the camp of the best way of surviving a gunfight is to not get in one...unless it's unavoidable. Hopefully, things I’ve mentioned above will help avoid one.

I’m going to toss this out, and it’s not directed at anyone specifically...more of a general observation.

I think that we, as “students of the gun”, tend to focus on our armed response to a potential threat more than preventing it from getting to that point. I know I’m guilty of that myself—I have a couple of quick access pistols stashed around the house, as well as long guns.

But, as a friend once pointed out...if it gets to that point, you’ve already had major failures in your security plan. It's better to keep any potential threat outside your home—or, even better, make your home an obvious hard target, one that will get passed up for an easier target.

Well lit exteriors are a great start (I know that people who rent their homes may not have some of these options...but you may be able to find workarounds if you look). Harden your doors—reinforced frames/lockplates work incredibly well against the casual “mule kick” forced entry. Get shatter resistant film for ground level windows (and if you can, plant some type of pretty, but nasty, thorny vegetation below them...curb appeal AND defense in one package!) and glass patio doors.

Get an alarm system. Even for renters, something like SimpliSafe is affordable, portable when you move, and expandable if you buy a home later. We use it for our cabin...no complaints at all. Most importantly—advertise the alarm.

If you’re a dog person, and your lifestyle allows you to be able to have one...they’re a great alarm. As to them being an...”active” defensive measure, that’s a possibility as well.

Cameras have been brought up, and are good options. Both obvious and not so obvious make a good combination so “dead spots” in coverage aren’t exploited.

I'm firmly in the camp of the best way of surviving a gunfight is to not get in one...unless it's unavoidable. Hopefully, things I’ve mentioned above will help avoid one.

This has gotten the bulk of my attention as of late.

Back