testtest

Lanchester Submachine Gun — German Inspired Royal Navy SMG

I think this is the same SMG Thomas Shelby used in Season 3 of Peaky Blinders while fighting off the Italian mob. Took me forever to figure out what it was. Closest I could figure was that it was a Bergman 1918. However, pretty sure the one in the show had the brass fittings of the Lanchester model. Anyone else see it (or really care)? Bad hobby of seeing if movies and TV shows use firearms contemporary to the timeframe being portrayed. Beautiful firearm none the less and a great article Mr. Suciu.

I think this is the same SMG Thomas Shelby used in Season 3 of Peaky Blinders while fighting off the Italian mob. Took me forever to figure out what it was. Closest I could figure was that it was a Bergman 1918. However, pretty sure the one in the show had the brass fittings of the Lanchester model. Anyone else see it (or really care)? Bad hobby of seeing if movies and TV shows use firearms contemporary to the timeframe being portrayed. Beautiful firearm none the less and a great article Mr. Suciu.
I watched the series but paid no specific attention to the gun.

It was a really good series.

From the entry at IMDb.com under "Goofs" for the film Guns At Batasi (1964), a great but obscure film starring Richard Attenborough:

The personal weapon used by the British is the Sterling sub machine gun which replaced the Sten in the British Army in 1953. This weapon is held with the left hand on the barrel and never the magazine or housing. Holding the magazine is a throwback to its predecessor, the Sten. The experienced senior members of the Mess are holding it incorrectly whilst the most inexperienced among them (Private Wilkes) holds it correctly and naturally.
-

1718387104150.png
probably a Bergman...not a Lanchester. Can't tell from this angle.

Back