testtest

Let the Battle Begin

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
6.5 CREEDMOOR VS. .308 WINCHESTER [WHICH IS BETTER?]

I have both in configurations from Precision-hunting-tactical, and the 6.5CM in crazily inherently more accurate in every configuration than the .308s.

The 6.5CM is boringly reliable in how well it shoots.

I keep my .308 guns for redundancy/SHTF purposes while every one of my 6.5CMs (another on the way) has taken over in every role I used the .308 in.

My .02

My old man, he's 67 years old this year and has been a die hard and I mean DIE HARD .308 Winchester fan for as long as I can remember. He has several .308 rifles of various makes and models and he'll talk to you for hours on the merits of the .308 caliber....so imagine my surprise late in 2019 when he called me and asked me to stop by his place on my way home from work, that he had something he wanted me to check out for him. My dad's disabled, I check on him as often as I can, but it's strange for him to call me so I left work a bit early and stopped by. He had a brand new Savage 6.5 Creedmore bolt-action rifle with a very nice Leupold scope on it sitting on his dining room table. When I first walked in, I saw the rifle and said "Wow, nice, a new .308?". He said no, it was a 6.5 Creedmore. I couldn't help chuckling and razzing him for a few minutes about ALL the stories I'd been told since I was a toddler about the superiority of the .308 Win round. My dad has killed countless deer with his old Remington model 742 Woodsmaster that he absolutely swears up and down is the best deer hunting rifle ever produced. His 742 dates back to the mid 70's and looks like it just came off the assembly line. My dad takes a lot of pride in maintaining his firearms and all of his old rifles for the most part look mint. Anyway, he told me he'd been researching the 6.5 Creedmore for quite a while and really liked the ballistics and knock down power of the round. He said in his old age, he needed to be open minded...lol, my dad, open minded about a rifle caliber????? Get outta here...lol. We took it out to a quarry he used to work at before he got hurt a couple of weeks later and I will say this, the 6.5 is a fine shooting rifle. The Savage model is very nice and the Leupold scope turns it into a tack driver at 100 yards, which is about as far out as I can see with any accuracy. So, the 6.5 must have some merit to it to get my old man to actually buy one. It had very manageable recoil, a bit more than my 22-250 rifle, but less than a .308 overall. If the Creedmore round can convert a .308 fan boy like my old man, there must be something to it...lol

I (had) 2 AR10’s one in 6.5 CM and one in .308 both Savage MSR Hunter
Unfortunately the 6.5 had BCG issues so that was sold. All that being said I enjoyed shooting the .308 definitely more of a kick and I found more accurate and hard hitting. My take.

Back