testtest

Luxury Cabins and Off The Grid Living

I’m starting a new thread about the beauty of luxury cabins and simple small homes including off the grid lifestyle.

Please feel free to share your homestead.

D764DBD8-3EB4-4441-B795-4C9FE727303A.jpeg

Very unique design.

While its not a cabin, my childhood home my dad had built in northern Maine was sure a luxury home for that part of the country.
100% Vermont Oak cut and dried for 2 yrs prior to construction. House was all oak.
Post and Beam frame. Not a single nail used in the framing of the house. Floors were all tongue and groove.
Slate fireplace ran thru 3 floors in center of house. Papa bear wood burning stove tied to ducts for heat.
Basement had large clam shell doors to drive the truck straight in to unload wood or supplies.

Edit: he loved the NE “salt box” style of home and had it built that way for the snow
Would love to buy it back one day.
D65ED73D-C065-468F-A5A8-2A2727E0D1FF.jpeg
7F3E9152-3694-4C86-819C-DE07F23AE61E.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like a great place to have grown up in. I like that he put the chimmy in the middle of the house. That allows the chimmy to stay hotter since it does have any sides exposed to the cold, and if the chimmy stays hot you don't get as much creasote build up. That's a big concern when you run your stove 24/7. Did your dad put registers in the 2nd story floors to allow heat to go upstairs?

It looks like a great place to have grown up in. I like that he put the chimmy in the middle of the house. That allows the chimmy to stay hotter since it does have any sides exposed to the cold, and if the chimmy stays hot you don't get as much creasote build up. That's a big concern when you run your stove 24/7. Did your dad put registers in the 2nd story floors to allow heat to go upstairs?
We had air vents and ductwork in the second story

We just sold a cabin last summer. It was on a small lake. There were a few neighbors, though. We were tentatively planning to retire there, but it didn’t work out.

One big issue with a cabin is keeping it maintained, especially as a person gets older. At this point, I would prefer a small camper.

Back