testtest

M&P 22 Compact

ScottJ

Professional
Founding Member
I normally can the process of buying a firearm over in about an hour, from start to finish, including the entire background check process. Yesterday, while at the local military base I saw the M&P 22 Compact in the display case, took a look at it, and decided to get it. I should have taken notice of the sign they had posted of the very long time NICS processes were taking. I was there well over an hour, and the system totally bogged-down from the amount of checks being done, and the sales clerk told me they'd call when it cleared. He had all of the paperwork done, and said they would hold that specific pistol for me. They had a total of 4 of that particular model on-hand. Just wtg for the phone call to make the 45 mile drive to go get it, once I pay for it. :)

Oh, also for gits and shiggles, I looked at a SA Victor 300BO Pistol while I was there. Nice! They had no 5.56/223 pistols on-hand to look at.

There was a customer prior to that at the counter asking about 300blk ammo, and the clerk said they had been out of it for over 2 months. Ammo sales were also limited to 2 bxs per caliber, per customer, but about the only thing they had were a few bxs of 22lr (I bought 2), and there was some shotgun rounds as I recall. The shelves were pretty much bare. No 9mm, .380, or 5.56/.223 available.

Last edited:
The pistol comes with two 10-round mags, and in looking for extras at the Gun Mag Warehouse site, the M&P branded mags ($28.99 ea) are out of stock, but there is an aftermarket ProMag brand available at $21.99. Anyone with experience with the ProMag brand? Good, bad, so-so?

The pistol comes with two 10-round mags, and in looking for extras at the Gun Mag Warehouse site, the M&P branded mags ($28.99 ea) are out of stock, but there is an aftermarket ProMag brand available at $21.99. Anyone with experience with the ProMag brand? Good, bad, so-so?
Hey @ScottJ , good purchase. I have the M&P 22 full size 12 round pistol & it's a blast to shoot. I can't speak to the ProMag issue, but Midway USA has the S&W mags available (same price $28.99), if you want those. Link below:

I normally can the process of buying a firearm over in about an hour, from start to finish, including the entire background check process. Yesterday, while at the local military base I saw the M&P 22 Compact in the display case, took a look at it, and decided to get it. I should have taken notice of the sign they had posted of the very long time NICS processes were taking. I was there well over an hour, and the system totally bogged-down from the amount of checks being done, and the sales clerk told me they'd call when it cleared. He had all of the paperwork done, and said they would hold that specific pistol for me. They had a total of 4 of that particular model on-hand. Just wtg for the phone call to make the 45 mile drive to go get it, once I pay for it. :)

Oh, also for gits and shiggles, I looked at a SA Victor 300BO Pistol while I was there. Nice! They had no 5.56/223 pistols on-hand to look at.

There was a customer prior to that at the counter asking about 300blk ammo, and the clerk said they had been out of it for over 2 months. Ammo sales were also limited to 2 bxs per caliber, per customer, but about the only thing they had were a few bxs of 22lr (I bought 2), and there was some shotgun rounds as I recall. The shelves were pretty much bare. No 9mm, .380, or 5.56/.223 available.
Just picked up the SA Victor in 300BO for $100 less than SA's MSRP. I haven't Shot it yet (I have some Sub Sonic 300 BO ammo I bought for my other 300 BO AR Pistol), it didn't come with any sights, so I put some Magpul flip up sights on it and a Vortex StrikeFire II red/green Dot. It's looking good and ready to roll :cool:

I've never had any luck with ProMag on a couple of guns so my experience hasn't been good but I can't speak for the mags you need for your specific pistol.

👍Thanks to all for the heads-up and info on available mags.

The SA Victor Pistol 300BO was certainly tempting, but will try to stick to 5.56/223 models if I yake the plunge, which will keep ammo type consistent with my Saint Edge. The Victor300BO was $1k at the PX, and there's no tax/transfer fees involved. This one had no sights either, and I told the sales clerk that the Saint Edge I bought there in Aug. 2019 came with the flip-up sights. He said, "Really?", and I said "Yep". :)

Decided to call the store yesterday and see if the NICS delay from Friday had cleared-up, and lo and behold my application was good-to-go. I asked the sales clerk what time they closed, and that I would be there before that time. It's roughly 40-45 miles one way there. Waited for the grandson to get home from school and we took off. Picked up two more bxs (50 rnds ea) of 22LR while I was there. Grandson and I should be able to get some range time on Thursday or Friday morning. Oh, and the pistol fits perfectly in the Kydex and leather holsters I have for my EZ9, the 22 Compact barrel is just a tad shorter. Same ergonomic grip as my EZ9, but wish the non-slip texture was the same as the EZ9. Although it's something minor, I'm not a fan of the white lettering on the sides of the slide, and would prefer it be black to blend-in, but can live with it. :)
20200928_210616.jpg
20200928_210728.jpg
20200928_205250.jpg

Great choice. I had some spare time this morning, so I dropped by the range. When I saw that I was the only customer there, I asked the manager where everybody was. He told me that the ammo shortage has hit them hard, and the majority of the members are saving what little ammo they have. He pointed out that many of the customers who do show up are only shooting 22 LR. Needless to say, you picked a good time to buy a 22 pistol. Enjoy.

Great choice. I had some spare time this morning, so I dropped by the range. When I saw that I was the only customer there, I asked the manager where everybody was. He told me that the ammo shortage has hit them hard, and the majority of the members are saving what little ammo they have. He pointed out that many of the customers who do show up are only shooting 22 LR. Needless to say, you picked a good time to buy a 22 pistol. Enjoy.
Thanks, and yep, the current shortage was one of the main reasons for buying it. Absolutely holding on to my 9mm stuff.

" ......................... Waited for the grandson to get home from school and we took off. Picked up two more bxs (50 rnds ea) of 22LR while I was there. Grandson and I should be able to get some range time on Thursday or Friday morning. ............"
Liked the idea of the new gun, but especially liked the idea of involving the grandson!!!!! Without the younger generations becoming involved with guns (in the right way) and/or the safe gun lifestyle of hunting, shooting, etc, there won't be any guns in the near future.

Just something to ponder y'all!

Liked the idea of the new gun, but especially liked the idea of involving the grandson!!!!! Without the younger generations becoming involved with guns (in the right way) and/or the safe gun lifestyle of hunting, shooting, etc, there won't be any guns in the near future.

Just something to ponder y'all!
He'll be 14 in November, and loves going to the range when we get the opportunity. :)

He'll be 14 in November, and loves going to the range when we get the opportunity. :)
Sure wish I had the same opportunity. All my kids and grandkids are in another state now and too far away for very much 'range together' time. I still take time as possible to help the neighborhood kids though. My wife and I call them our "yard kids". :) That's an old southern country expression known mostly to those who experienced it.

Grandson and I got range time this morning. Weather was cool, and real breezy. Ran 5 rounds each of different brands, types, and grains, with no fte or ftf problems whatsoever. Ran smooth, and was an enjoyable change of pace from shooting the 9mm's.

American Eagle:
- Premium HV 40 grain solid nose
- HV 38 grain hollow point, copper plated

Winchester:
- SuperX 40 grain round nose, copper plated

CCi:
- Meateater 21 grain, copper, Polymer

5 rounds each type initially at 7-8 yds distance, then 20 rounds of the Winchester SuperX 40 grain from 5 yds. The SuperX usually has problems when we run it through the grandson's Ruger 10/22, but it ran smooth as butter through the pistol.

The rear sight of the 22 Compact is elevation & windage adjustable, but forgot the tools for doing it at home. Seems to pull to the right, but could have been/was probably me. Once I get an ammo supply built-up, I'm looking forward to spending more time tweaking it in. Fun piece to shoot for sure.

Last edited:
Back