testtest

Model JS 9mm. Stallard Arms.

Basically, you clean a) moving parts, and b) parts that are in contact with the exploding shell. Don't over-oil things like springs, because that will attract and catch dust and dirt, and muck them up. Put a fine sheen of oil on everything to help fight corrosion, but don't leave it dripping. But yes, the cleaning processes are the same regardless of brand.

As for cleaning procedures and materials/tools, go ask your local gun shop for help. I have yet to find a store that isn't happy to answer questions like this, and give pointers to help keep shooters safe, and keep the hobby fun.

My cleaning kit is a bore brush; cotton cloth pieces to run up and down the barrel; a bore "sponge" (I'm sure that's not the right word for it, but it's an absorbent piece to get cleaning fluid into the bore to loosen firing residue); an old toothbrush; a larger cotton cloth for wiping stuff down; a bottle of Hoppe's cleaning fluid; and a bottle of gun lube for final assembly.

After you fire your gun, you'll see firing residue on certain parts. Clean it off, use the toothbrush if you can't reach it by hand, wipe it down, give it a light coat of oil, and reassemble. You'll learn your gun's personal geography after a couple times through the process.

Welcome aboard!

While this vid is oriented towards 1911s, starting at time stamp 2:40 he goes through the basic cleaning steps common to most pistols.

BTW - I disagree with the vid author that a pistol needs to be taken down for a cleaning after each shooting sesson, unless you're going through hundreds of rds each time. I know competitors that have such finely set-up pistols that have to do so or their pistols will choak, but modern designs are made to function properly without daily cleaning.

Last edited:
Back